GUN Bill Springfield Trigger Jobs for an AR

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't know how many of you have heard of bill springfield but he does trigger work for ptr-91's, hk, and ar's. I sent him the trigger from my stag parts kit and had it back about a week and a half later. The creep this trigger had is gone and it feels much better now.

Now I've always heard that if you mess with an ar's trigger you can expect it to fail. I spent a great deal of time searching around and here's the only example I could find of a failure http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=8260

Here's what he says he does
    I also asked him specifically about failure (doubles or hammer falling without a pull) and hardening, and if one kit was better than others and he said
    Take it however you will but I'm very happy with my 4 pound trigger and it seems like a vast improvement. I still may try one of the new double stage triggers coming out but in the meantime, Bill's work feel great.

2. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

Good info, thanks

PS don't do the 5 minute AR trigger job...

Anyone have a spare hammer spring, btw? I fuckt mine up trying to do the 5 minut trigger job on my AR. It has you trim one of the springs. I found that the half spring walked one of the pins out.

PM me with cost w/shipping.

SJ

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If I recall the advice in it suggests bending the spring legs and clipping one. I'm not comfortable with bending or stretching spings but you should be able to work around the clipped leg problem. One of the trigger pins has an extra groove cut into it for a leg of the hammer pin to sit in holding it in place. It sounds like you clipped the leg on that side. Flip the pin and put it in so the groove is under the remaining long leg and your pin will probably quit walking.

4. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

I'm on the motherfucker! thanks dude. I'm going to try that now!

5. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

hmmm might have to check this out

6. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Yeah try piercing military primers or 450s with it, you will have failures. Get a Timney and be done with it.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I got the 4lb trigger job which doesn't get new springs or the hammer cut on so its unlikely firing pin force will be changing.

8. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

Holy shit it feels amazing compared to stock :bowdown:

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

:rofl: You went with the 3 right? I sent off another one last week for a 3 pound job to go with my 4 :big grin:

10. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

Yeah... I got my CTR from USPS today and I was like well...can't do shit with it until the trigger gets here. I dunno how they got delivered seperately because they dropped off the CTR at the front door and the trigger wasn't in my mailbox but my roommate randomly left it in my bathroom :rofl:

Put the whole thing together just now and it's night and day compared to the trigger in my A1

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

My 3# came today too, I think I mailed it exactly a week ago. The guy works fast. Now I just need a new lower to put it in.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I shot a chip McCormick drop in 2 stage trigger for a few years. Not a bad trigger but it has a lot of pretravel. I kind of liked the 2 stage for long range precision work.

When I had Rob Melhorn redo my ar (mostly lightened bolt work) he demanded to redo my trigger. He used a single stage jard kit and the trigger is about 2lbs and most importantly the reset on the trigger is shorter.

I have nice triggers on all my guns. I pretty much budget $200 for each gun for trigger jobs. It's worth it.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I can't stand long resets on my handguns and i pretty much just expect short ones when I go to rifles after that. What does the average 2 stage ar trigger like say the geisselieilselielizelielseilseselie do to the reset? I've asked at arfcom before and they all just described what a 2 stage trigger was :rofl: I just kept with the tweaked single stage since I was in doubt.

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

To be honest the worked over single stage triggers using timmy, jard, jp, geisselieilselielizelielseilseselie are all good. Probably more who fits it than who makes it.

I would not buy the geisselieilselielizelielseilseselie because it just sounds gay. I might consider it if it was better, but I don't think it is. My suggestion is to use what your AR smith wants to install.

Of the 2 stage triggers I liked the CMC. I've pulled on all of them at the various shot shows and they all have more pre travel, and slightly longer resets than a stock trigger. If I had it to do over again I would not of messed with a 2 stage and went strait to a single. If I shot high power or similar accuracy is everything game I might change my mind.