Bikers won't like sound of this!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Snafu, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Bikers won't like sound of this!
    BY FRANK LOMBARDI
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, December 11th 2008, 2:18 AM

Vroooom that noisy motorcycle once too often and the city could own it.

In a new bid to stem motorcycle noise, the City Council is set to pass a bill requiring all bikes to sport tags certifying approval by the Environmental Protection Agency.

No EPA tag, you get a ticket, without the officials having to prove the bike exceeded the 80-decibel limit set by the city's noise code.

"Today we go a long way toward taking the squeal out of the hogs," said Peter Vallone (D-Queens), chairing a final bill hearing Wednesday in the Public Safety Committee.

Under the bill, expected to pass the full Council Dec. 18, a first conviction carries a maximum $1,000 fine and temporary confiscation until the penalty is paid.

A second conviction hikes the maximum fine to $2,500 and imposes permanent forfeiture.

NYPD Lt. Daniel Albano testified that existing laws require cops to catch noisy motorcyclists in the act, which is difficult and can entail potentially hazardous chases.

The new measure would let single officers on foot patrol - or other city agents - ticket parked motorcycles, he said.

It gives police "an extra tool to get at what is truly a serious problem," said Councilman Alan Gerson (D-Manhattan), who crafted the bill based on a law in use in Denver.

But biker Bill Ferraro, president of the Union Ironworkers Motorcycle Club, Local 580, testified that "it's unsafe for us to ride when the pipes are too low."

He also said the city can't close its budget gap "with confiscation of bikes and seizure."

[email protected]

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/12/10/2008-12-10_bikers_wont_like_sound_of_this-2.html

2. 7960

7960 New Member

they're going to ticket parked motorcycles for being too loud.

and I guess they're going to ticket parked civics because their fartcan might make a lot of noise?

3. squid

squid braap

NYC has had it out for sportbikes for a while now, the harassment got out of control a long time ago. What do they want, more cars on their roads? Idiots. It's fucking NYC, it's gonna be loud. Shutting up all the honking cabs will go a lot further

4. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Uhm, like squid said, honking is far worse a problem than a motorcycle.
    The only motorcycles this should apply to is Harley's anyways. They are the only real serious motorcycle noise-pollution problem.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

jap bikes go by my house every day making more noise than my harley :rolleyes:

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I think ANY bike that's over a certain db level, be it a harley, sportbike or whatever needs to get nailed for noise violations. (course toss in asshats with booming car stereos too)
    the "loud pipes save lives" theory is utter horseshit.

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

So, you're ok with ticketing motorcycles that are not even running?

8. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

with the number of asshats who modify their exhausts and remove the factory stuff to toss on shit like straight pipes or racetrack only exhausts? Sad to say that I'm getting to that point now, yes.
    Bikes don't need to be loud, touring bikes run quiet as hell and have the lowest accident rates so again, the only reason to have loud exhaust is because a biker has insecurity problems and needs to be an attention whore. "look at me! I'm a biker!!!"

9. 7960

7960 New Member

I hope you get a seatbelt ticket as you're getting in your car becuase the officer suspects you may not wear it once you start driving.

they also have older, more experienced drivers so you're making a correlation where none exists.

yes, that's the only reason :rolleyes:

10. mtnbikekid08

Maybe making more noise than your harley, but have you ever been to SF? Almost(like 99.9%) of Harleys in that city can be heard for over a quarter of a mile away(because by that point the next Harley is drowning out all other sound), and is easily over 110 decibels. Hell, even on the highway they are making enough noise that you want to run the asshole over.
    Also, here in San Jose there are plenty of Harleys which make too much noise. Ricer-boys are also very fucking annoying too.
    Modded Jap bikes... not nearly as loud for the most part, though you get the occasional straight-pipe bike.
    And occasionally Hell's Angels comes through and oh fuck...:ugh:

11. 7960

7960 New Member

so ticket the ones that are making the noise.

if they're parked they're not making any noise.

12. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Actually, the argument for loud pipes has nothing to do with the rider's skill, but that others around you that may hit you will hear you first and avoid you.
    Yet somehow those louder bikes seem to have the greater number of accidents than the tourbikes. As for older riders? not really. cruisers and harleys have just as many older riders. If anything, the tourbikes are less able to maneuver due to weight and passengers. Nice try though.

So there is a correlation even though you don't want to hear it (pun intended)
    As for you, if you have replaced the exhaust on your bike with a louder set (or worse, open exhaust like a retard), why did you do it? Was it for that little horsepower gain that you don't need for normal driving? Was it for "safety" even though the stats show different? or was it to "make the bike sound meaner" and draw more attention to you.

as for the epa sticker thing? Not for it really, but again, if assholes with loud pipes keep disturbing my peace inside my own house as they roar by with exhausts well over normal db levels, then my patience wears thin. People don't want to respect others quiet and privacy like normal humans, then fuckem.
    Already laws around the country regarding modifying or replacing factory exhausts. I'd much rather see police enforce noise ordinances though since those already exist on the books.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  13. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You're right. I don't like it.

I used to hate Harleys with loud pipes but now I love them. I bought a HD this year and put some new pipes on it and I can't get enough of the sound. It's one reason why I bought a HD.

The law is unconstitutional and will be set aside by the courts in short order.

14. mtnbikekid08

Where have I mentioned anything about parked motorcycles?
    Oh, and Coottie, I hate people like you and your fucking loud motorcycle.
    Making yourself deaf is fine, but don't force me to listen to that damn thing.:mamoru:
    Okay, you said louder bikes seem to have the greatest number of accidents?
    Where's your proof? Show me statistics, not bullshit coming out your ass.
    As for tourbikes, ever been on a Connie(concours) or a Goldwing? These things can ride your ass while you're on your crotch rocket, all day long through the curves. Again, don't make shit up just because you don't know.
    Also, I have a exhaust system because I like to be heard and I like a more powerful bike. What's next, are you gonna try to tell me I can't get a Hayabusa because I don't need that much power? I'd tell you to go to hell.

15. Coottie

Funny thing is, I used to feel the same way. I'd hear a loud ass motorcycle and think...what an asshole. All this changed one day when I simply changed my mind.

I never, ever thought I'd ride a loud ass bike. I even talked them down all the time. Now I own one and love it.

And I agree....loud pipes save lives is bullshit. However, giving tickets for something someone hasn't even done is also bullshit.

16. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

[​IMG]

4 of the 5 currently in the hanger (taken before I bought the FJ1200, my 31st motorcycle). And yes, I know about tourbikes very well and how they actually perform, been riding for 35 years and that Venture is now my daily driver even in the winter. Also know just how quiet bikes can be and still haul ass without waking the goddamn neighbors. As for data, start with the Hurt report and then the IIHS reports and google away.

As for loud pipes save lives, exhausts force the noise backwards behind the bike. 77% of accidents involving other vehicles are from the front. Louder exhausts don't do shit for safety.
    I love bikes, I hate self absorbed egotists though that don't give a shit about how loud their bikes are and how they effect and bother their neighbors. It's just like squids riding like idiots, their riding effects all riders because laws that come out (this one is an example) not only effects them, but ALL riders as well.

17. mtnbikekid08

If you give facts, back them up with proof. I'm not gonna go hit up google because you aren't backing up your stuff.

18. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

19. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Folks, please write your council member! This affects more than just those with loud pipes, but ANYONE with an aftermarket exhaust, regardless of noise level.

PLEASE WRITE YOUR COUNCIL MEMBERS!!!! THIS IS SLATED TO PASS NEXT THURSDAY!!!

12/12/2008 Action Alert New York City Council unfairly targets motorcycle sound
    Dec. 12, 2008
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Phone: (877) 877-8969
    E-mail: [email protected]

New York City Council unfairly targets motorcycle sound

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The New York City Council is about to give final approval to a bill that the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) says discriminates against motorcyclists and imposes severe, out-of-line penalties.

The AMA also complained that the measure languished in the Council for two years and then, in a surprise move, was revived just a week before the scheduled final vote, allowing little opportunity for public comment.

"This is outrageous. This is no way to operate in a democracy," said Imre Szauter, AMA government affairs manager. "The Committee on Public Safety considered the bill on Dec. 14, 2006, and then suddenly approves it and sends it to the full Council on Dec. 10, 2008?"

The measure, up for full City Council approval on Thursday, Dec. 18, would make it illegal for any motorcycle to be on city streets unless it has an exhaust system with a stamp that states it is approved by the federal Environmental Protection Agency. Essentially that means the bike must have a stock exhaust system.

Motorcyclists caught without an EPA-stamped exhaust system would face fines of up to $1,000 for a first offense and temporary forfeiture of the motorcycle until the fine is paid. A second offense would result in a fine of up to $2,500 and permanent forfeiture of the motorcycle.

City officials apparently believe that requiring motorcyclists to have EPA-approved exhaust systems is easier to enforce than trying to prove a motorcycle exceeds the city's vaguely defined 80-decibel sound limit.

Szauter stressed that the AMA has long opposed excessive motorcycle noise and has funded information and public relations campaigns in support of quiet motorcycle use.

"The issue is that the New York City Council is unfairly singling out motorcyclists because motorcycles are the only vehicles covered under the bill," he said. "If New York City officials believe they have a sound problem, then the problem should be handled through the existing noise ordinance and not through piecemeal legislation targeting specific modes of transportation."

Szauter added that requiring motorcycles--and no other motor vehicles--to have a stock exhaust system is particularly discriminatory. When the muffler wears out or breaks on a car, the car owner can go to a local muffler shop and get an aftermarket system that costs much less than an original equipment system. The proposed New York City law wouldn't allow a motorcyclist to do that, forcing the motorcyclist to potentially spend hundreds of dollars more for an original equipment system, assuming that system is still available.

"If a motorcyclist can't find a stock system, then the rider faces stiff fines and forfeiture of the machine, Szauter said. "These penalties are too severe and out of line when compared with other city laws."

Szauter urged all New York City motorcyclists to contact their City Council members immediately and ask that they reject this discriminatory measure.

Concerned motorcyclists living outside the area, especially those who work in or frequently visit the city, should contact Speaker of City Council Christine Quinn by telephone at (212) 788-7210; by letter to City Hall, New York, NY 10007; or by e-mail by visiting http://council.nyc.gov/D3/html/members/home.shtml<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wppqdvcab.0.0.vw9ldxbab.0&ts=s037...>. http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wppqdvcab.0.0.vw9ldxbab.0&ts=s037...>

To see the measure, go to http://tinyurl.com/6mo2yo.

Tell-A-Friend

20. swedishstar

swedishstar Active Member

Are you taking into account the intended use of the bike and where it is run? For instance, how touring bikes more than likely see most of their time away from traffic?

21. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

fuck harleys

22. Coottie

:greddy:

Harleys are far from the only loud bikes on the road. Stop being so fucking stupid.

23. 7960

7960 New Member

did you read the article?

the article is about ticketing bikes for not having what amounts to a "noise tag" even if they're parked.

if you want to ticket bikes that are too loud, fine. but a noise tag is stupid because it allows cops to ticket just for not displaying the tag even if the bike isn't making ANY noise.

24. 7960

7960 New Member

fuck you.

next?

25. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

I got a louder exhaust for safety reasons. I think it makes a difference on the highway.

But I dont ride around town like a asshole either.