Bike to Bike Communications

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ChatChai, Jan 14, 2006.

1. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I know about chatterbox but I ran into another biker who uses and recommends Nady MRC-11X communicater. It looks like a handheld walkie talkie with small headphone and mic attachment that sticks on the inside of the helmet. Does anyone have any experience using it or even a comparable device. The Nady is $69 versus $250 for the chatterbox. Oh and I was referring to the closed face helmets. Thanks.

2. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

google for autocom and check out their website. All their 2005 communicators (whats left of them) are on sale 50% off in preparation for the '06 models. Even check with your local dealers you can also find on the site.

3. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know about using regular Motorola Talkabout walkie talkies? I mean it says its used for hiking and biking (I'm assuming bicycling). You could pick up a pair for under $100 bucks. What is the difference with using somethhing like AutoCom and Chatterbox that are specifically designed for bikes?

4. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

AUtocom and Chatterbox have headsets that install in your helmet. Autocom actually uses a walkie talkie like the Motorola for the bike to bike communications. Without the radio it is just a sound system for listening to your radio, mp3, cell phone, etc.

5. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

yeah i was thinking of using a combination of the two. Using possibly the motorola and then picking up the helmet accessory from nady, autocom or chatterbox. Has anyone done this?

Yeah I don't need a radio or anything.

6. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

They suck. My roommate used to use a Motorola FRS radio and a throat mic. It sucked cuz no one could understand what he said and we'd sometimes get road/wind noise from him.

Go with the Chatterbox X1 for the nguyen. Or wait until the prices of the bluetooth unit comes down.

7. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

Correct me if I am wrong but the noise reduction is mainly from the headset. So has anyone had any experience with a motorola with a chatterbox headset or another brand? Just trying to save some money here and trying to figure out the kinks. I mean the chatterbox and autocom are both frs so limitations of each unit will be the same so is the difference between the motorcycle specific brands and the hiking types like motorola just the headset?

8. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

The Autocom is not FRS or GMRS, it has no radio to transmit. You supply your own radio if you want bike to bike communiation. As you said the noise supression for the chatterbox and autocom is all in the headset, it is just the location and type of mic. Your best bet is probably to just get the Autocom headset that you can connect directly to your Motorola talk-about and install in your helmet. I dont know if Chatterbox sells just the headset with proper connector, but I did see on the autocom website that they do.