A&P Bike pics: tell me how to improve

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Bob Loblaw, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

Took some photos of an otters bike, this was pretty much my first proper time out with the flashes and triggers

I was really happy with these photos, but I need as much constructive criticism as possible so I can improve :x:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

go :noes:

2. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

What kind of diffusers or light modifiers are you using?

How many strobes are you running?

Some of the shots have a lot of sharp glare on the body. Smooth those out and it would be awesome. But besides that, I like the shots.
    #3 is different, kind of odd with the brownish rusty look fading in from the right to the left.
    Maybe place some flash to eliminate some of the shadows? Sometimes it feels like the shadows are detracting from the bike, mainly on #4

I'm a noob, but just pointing out some things I see, even if it doesnt make any sense, or if its worthless :hs:

3. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

I'm digging the photos! They look pretty cool. Exposure seems spot on IMO. I'm no pro though and my pics look like crap so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :p I don't feel like nitpicking the pics, like I could do better. :o

4. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I like these threads.

I'm a noob and see the pictures and think WOW!

Then I read the comments and go back and learn through the examples. You see the subtle "flaws" that I don't see right away, but stand right out to a pro.

Thank you for posting your pics and having the guts to face the onslaught of OT critics! lol

5. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

the windshield is clear but has a really weird reflection on the last picture

the 3rd pictures seems "foggy"

other 3 are good IMO, #2 being my favorite

6. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

2 and 4 have things growing out of it. I see what you were going with with 2 but I just dont like it. 3 just looks a little flat...add some contrast and adjust the color balance.

7. ericande

ericande Active Member

replace Honda with cooler bike.

8. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

#1 I like this one. Little more contrast?

#2 I like this one with the leading line from the overpass. I'd crop it tight. Some of the random stuff on either side of the bike can go.

#3 Really like this one. The WB looks a little warm and a little more contrast to make it pop.

#4 I like the location of this shot, but I don't like where the strobe is and the shadows around the bike...

Nice shots. :cool:

9. Dan Martin

Dan Martin OT Supporter

These are pretty nice. I would lose the vignette on 1 & 3 though because the clouds are unnaturally gray. Next time you should try to nail the exposure on the sky and then balance out the bike lighting with your strobes. There's also a big halo under the bridge in #4 that stands out.

10. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

thanks guys

cable guy;
    wasn't using any light modifiers on these photos,
    i think i might try out umbrellas next time
    just using two strobes, they were on full power most of the time because the sun was still really bright

1992 240SX;
    is the bridge in the background really counted as "something growing out of it"?
    i wasn't sure when i was taking the photo, i figured it was a big and flat enough structure that it wouldnt matter :o

todd;
    i'll try out those edits and post up my results!

dan martin;
    the sun was really bright and my triggers wont let me go any faster than 1/250th
    so it was hard enough to expose for the sun and get the proper lighting with the strobes (they were on full power most of the time)
    i'm definitely going to have to get more powerful ones in the future
    i'll see what i can do about the halo, i think i went a bit overboard in lightroom :o

11. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Horizon line in 1 isn't level and the vignette is too aggressive. It's casting a haze on the bike.

Horizon isn't level in 2 either. Would be a much better shot if the bike was facing the other way, IMO.

Horizon and vignette issues again in 3.

4 would be better with a rear 3/4 shot from the other side of the bike, and something to soften the shadow coming off of it.

When shooting motorcycles, I prefer to shoot the non-kickstand side of the bike, especially on V-twins but also on sportbikes, as the exhaust is a prominent feature on a motorcycle and drivechains/belts are ugly. Also stick something under the sidestand to get the bike closer to level. It looks like it wants to fall over in these pics.

12. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

1/250th of a second? Are you using CyberSyncs? Mine don't let me go faster than that either.