Bike not running right, help!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Katsumoto, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Hoping someone might have an idea what's wrong, I'm new to riding in general so.....

I just got a Buell Blast :o, and have put like 400 miles on it, but the other morning I went to start it up, and decided to switch it to reserve just because I hadn't yet, so I started it & then immediately just switched it back to main for whatever reason. It was idling fine, but when I got up to about 10 mph it started popping and stuttering constantly no matter how much throttle I gave it. I stuck new gas in and tried again but same thing.

Today I pulled off the gas tank to clean it out, and got some bugs & little plastic peices out, and cleaned out the Petcock. I checked the spark plug, and it looked ok. I don't know if it's a carburetor problem or what.

Any ideas?

2. Frequency

Frequency New Member

What year is the blast, how long was it sitting before you started riding it?

ibBuellhate :gtfo:

3. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

'05
    I think the guy had only taken the bike out like once this year before I got it, but I had put a few hundred miles on it before this happened though. It only sat for a night since I had ridden it.

I guess I'll try putting it back together today, and see if it still does it.

4. bumble_bee

bumble_bee New Member

If your mechanicly minded, check the carbs and fuel lines out :dunno:

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun New Member

If it worked fine until you screwed with the petcock, that's where I'd start looking for problems. Pull the fuel line off the petcock and run gas directly into the carb. If the problem goes away, you found your culprit.

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

If you switched to reserve you may have pulled in crap to the screen that was settled on the bottom of the tank.

Is it still running like shit after you cleaned the petcock and tank out? Finding bugs and plastic pieces inside the tank sounds like the previous owner let it sit with the gascap off and god knows what got in there.

7. austincabot

austincabot New Member

Choke on :dunno:

It could be just sediment or the petcock could be stuck.

8. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

I haven't put it all back together yet after cleaning the tank & petcock. I rinsed the tank out with some gas a couple times, and took apart the petcock and sprayed it with compressed air. We'll see later today if that helped any. I'm just worried that if it was getting clogged up, then the carb might be gummed up now too.

It has an auto choke.