Bike noob looking for opinions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jumpem, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

I used to ride quads all the time back before I started college and had money to spend. I've ridden a street bike a little but have practically no experience. I've been thinking about getting a 600cc sport bike when I finish school in a year or so. My main drawback is that i'm paranoid of getting into a bike accident caused by other drivers. Mostly due to them not watching or being aware of streetbikes. I plan to learn to ride well at a conservative pace and not to try anything hard until I am very comfortable with the bike. Do you guys have any tips or thoughts to overcome my paranoia about staying safe out there? Thanks for the help.

2. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

As a rider, you ride like you are invisible to everyone. Wear bright color clothings, stay away from car's blind spot, never insist on your right of way, and pray :big grin: . As far as being paraniod about people, as long as you are really comfortable on your bike, you can concentrate on watch out for others instead of controlling the bike.

3. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

Thanks, Vtec44! Any recommendations on good motorcycle related sites?

4. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

www.sportbikes.net/forums (personal favorite), www.cycleforums.com, sportbikeworld.com. That will give you enough reading materials for now. I always recommend people to start small, learn the basics first, so you can enjoying riding much more once you upgrade to a bigger bike. A cheap, used, underpowered bike is a very good place to start. Cheap insurance, cheap to maintain, you'll learn a lot from fixing it, and so what if you drop the sucker? :big grin:

5. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Please take a MSF class!

6. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

BARF owns you.

7. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

I bought an F4i for my first bike and I'm not having any trouble with it. Just be responsible and don't ride past your limits and you'll be fine.