Bike Mileage

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NetChemica, May 12, 2009.

1. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

I'm about to buy my first bike (SV650). I was curious what's considered high mileage on a motorcycle. Anything to check for when picking up a used bike?

2. LiveSideways

LiveSideways Two bitches at the same time, synchronized swimmer

I wouldn't buy anything with 20k+ miles unless the maint was VERY well documented. You'd be surprised how many times I've asked people selling high mileage bikes when the valves were last checked and they rock a blank stare.

3. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

22k and my valves have never been checked........only done oil changes on my bike since ive had it and its been fine asside from a shift shaft spring which warranty covered. Id be more concerned about buying a bike from some kid who probably bounces off the rev limiter daily to impress his friends.

4. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I have an 84 Honda Magna V65 with 51k on it, still pulls VERY hard. Valves do need to be adjusted, though, got some ticking going on.

5. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

ok so the people on the forums say my bike does have a valve adjustment interval, i guess its just listed in the service manual and not the owners manual.....yay its comming up.....lol

6. Schecter1277

Schecter1277 hi

Well, a car can go to 300k before most just konk out. Why wouldn't a bike be able to make it past 100k?

7. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Serious question here?

Car konks out your car will come to a stop. Really bad luck and maybe you cause and accident surrounded by a nice metal cage.

Your bike konks out and you could be possibly thrown off the bike, crashed, and possibly killed. You want to avoid an accident on a bike a whole lot more.

8. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

And that has to do with the "why" how...?

9. bs2100

bs2100 New Member

I've always wondered it too, but it just seems to be the way that it is.

It's not as bad as most people think it is though. I've heard lots of people say "I wouldn't buy a bike with xxxx miles, it's too high" when it really depends on the bike. I don't care too much about miles as long as it runs good, because really there aren't many bikes with more than 100k anyway. It also depends on what kind of bike it is too. If I wanted a cheap sportbike then something with more than 50k might be a little high and I'll just hold out for something with less miles. But if I was looking at goldwings then 50k is no problem.

10. Chiron

Chiron New Member

With proper car and maintenance, a bike will be just as reliable, and last as long as a car. The trick is to study the specifics of the bike in question, issues that are native to that make and model, and make sure they were covered by the owner(s).

11. LiveSideways

LiveSideways Two bitches at the same time, synchronized swimmer

:rofl:
    You gonna rip down the freeway on a 13:1 gsxr engine with 300k miles even if you magically made it there somehow? I wouldn't ride any bike approaching 50k unless it was some big cruiser or a super sherpa.

12. Chiron

Chiron New Member

300,000 miles is not a problem if the bike was maintained, and rebuilt at the appropriate intervals. Sportbikes see more wear and tear in the persuit of performance, this is true. However, that is why you the owner must be more vigilant in it's care, and the factory does it's part as well.

By that logic a very good friend of mine shouldn't be riding his 1979 BMW R100 RT (or RS, I can't remember), since it is approaching 275,000 miles, and still sees occasional track days?

13. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

If it's been rebuilt it doesn't exactly count as having that many miles on the engine. Also, nobody does that.

14. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Semantics. Car engines are rebuilt at certain points as well, that doesn't change what was accumulated on the chassis. Nobody does what?

15. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

People put 300k on cars all the time without rebuilding the engines.

Nobody actually rebuilds engines on motorcycles, at least not on sportbikes.

16. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

ya, but a bike that revs to 15,000rpm........compared to a car that may rev to 6,000 rpm is putting alot more stress over its internals quicker imo.....they are both engines......one cruises at 3500rpm, the other at lets say 7,000rpm.......which bearings are going to wear out first?.....which cyclinder walls are going to wear down first and piston rings go bad and start to burn some oil.....granted the engines are designed for high rpm but id expect the engine to wear out faster then that of a typical car but im not saying it wont go 100,000 miles.....shoot ive seen goldwings with 150,000 miles on them. I see no reason why any modern bike wouldn't do 100k miles.......alots going to do with how the bike is ridden too.......ripping and running up to redline everyday obviously going to decrease the life some.

people dont rebuild engines on sportbikes usually because nobody rides them enough to warrant one.The other reason may be too is due to bikes and the nature of being crashed alot probably offers up alot of spare motors that can be parted out and just swapped in which is obviously alot easier and cheaper then rebuilding a motor.

17. akis

akis Member

my 92 zx7 has 41k on it, just find one taken care of imo

18. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

theres a guy on my busa forum that has over 120k on a busa but it has been rebuilt once and he drive cross country too thought\

19. Mint

Mint Active Member

"Backstory:
    I have a good friend that owned a 1999 Hayabusa. He loved that bike. Rode it to the Dragons Tail several times and all over the place. Fast forward to about 1 year ago....He started having troubles with the electrical system, mind you that he has over 88.000 miles on the beast and took very good care of it. The bike would cut out after only 20 miles at a time of riding. Very dangerous situation for any rider, keep in mind this fact. So he takes it into a Suzuki mechanic, who knows this bike because he is the guy who does all the maintenance on it. He tries everything, even contacts Suzuki Corp and they take the bike for troubleshooting. They can't determine the problem also since it has so many miles he's SOL. Due to these issues he waffles back and forth whether to sell it or try to fix it himself.
    Fast Forward to about 3 days ago:
    He decides to sell it for $2,500 as a non running bike. He discloses everything to the buyer. The buyer agrees and takes the bike.

Last night:
    I get a phone call to take a look at Craigs List, what do we find:
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1165030520.html

Just incase it gets shut down:

suzuki hayabusa gsx1300r runs great - $5000 (santa ana )
    Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Date: 2009-05-11, 8:11AM PDT

up for sale is a 1999 suzuki gsx1300r hayabusa this is one of the the best year to own a hayabusa as they were only produced in two years 99 to 00 which were not restricted and the fastest busa made for the first generation. this busa has about 4200 miles on the clock and runs great. it has a k&n air filter and yoshimura pipes. tires are in good shape. previous owner left bike outside so therefore cosmetics are not the greatest has minor scratches scruffs all around but overall solid bike. i tried to removed a sticker that was placed on the rear tail and kinda missed the paint up a little. overall great priced and one of the cheapest that i seem around. email if you have any questions it has clean title
    [​IMG]

What gives it away that it was his bike is the Yoshi pipes and the fact about the sticker in the rear tail, it was a tail of the dragon sticker. These are the "Fastlanes" type scum bags that we try to avoid but now this stuff is happening, and probably has been happening for a long time, by private parties.

If you are buying a used bike and don't have experience, contact a friend that does and don't go alone. There are so many horror stories about this type of transaction and possibly the ends to these stories could be deadly.

Just be careful out there."

Taken from another forums im on.

20. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

people put 100k on motorcycles all the time too, and more.

Unfortunately though, when it comes to sportbikes, they are generally abused to high heaven so while they COULD easily do 100k, the vast majority of them won't even see the other side of 50k. (although there are those exceptions).

21. Schecter1277

Schecter1277 hi

You mean people that don't always have to leave ever stop light at full throttle?
    If you take care of something it doesn't wear out as quickly.

Your car doesn't "konk out" as in just shut off. But after 300k most have so many engine problems and so frequently that most just give up on it. Seals, engine wear, spark plugs, the engine gets so old that parts start to give way one by one and need to be replaced.

22. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I realize that. I sold a maxima when I was 18 with 152,000 miles on it.

I was more making a point that people tend to stay away from high mileage bikes because at the end of the day some mechanical failures can have disasterous consequences and cause the death of the rider.

Not all obviously but at the end of the day why add more risk then needed.

23. Schecter1277

Schecter1277 hi

I know, I was just wondering why bikes wear out quicker. The higher RPMs never crossed my mind.

24. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I would imagine less R&D plays a role also. Not to mention the RPM's like you mentioned and I'm sure the way bikes get thrown around can wear out suspension and others parts quicker as well.

25. Schecter1277

Schecter1277 hi

I guess it all depends on the bike. It would probably be safe to assume that a bike can only go to 150k miles, and a bike with over 100k should be avoided at all costs.