Bike is in the shop

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Crazyjester24, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

only been a day and i already miss riding it :wtc:...im hoping to get it back in the next day or so

2. Chiron

Chiron New Member

What do you ride?

3. YodaHart

YodaHart New Member

why is it in the shop?

4. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

What is this discharge?

5. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

i ride a 93 yamaha virago xv1100 and its in the shop for general servicing and i need them to check the battery and starter because one of them decided to shit out on me a few days ago and i was stuck in a giant parking lot for like two and half hours

6. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

apparently its got a bad clutch (just got a call from the shop) so im having them fix it/replace it, im glad they caught it now so it doesnt present problems later

7. Arsenal4rs

Arsenal4rs BEES!!! MUTHERFUCKIN BEES!!!

glad they found it early. Virago riders shouldnt be deprived of their babies :big grin:

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Virago + starter issue = $$$$$$$$

WHen i was working at the shop, we sent away ALOT of virago starter problems to a guy who was a former Yamaha mechanic with about 30 years of experience. Its a complete bitch to work on time wise, and we didnt have the time for it during the summer months.
    If its the starter clutch, be prepaired for a massive repair bill, infact if you can, get them to give you an estimate on the cost of repairs. If i remember correctly, to repalce teh starter clutch on a Virago, youve got to pull the engine out of the frame, and split the case to get to the starter clutch, which is about 3 hours of labor for an experienced mechanic. So dant take a huge shit when you see the bill. And like i said, get them to give you an estimate.

9. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

oh im up in the 600s for this bill...im not happy but i cant do much about it...its either i get it fixed or it craps out on me at the most inconvient time possible

10. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

the clutch is slipping or some shit like that(not a mechanic) i think the starter is ok

11. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

damn, should have done the work yourself

12. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well if it is the starter clutch, its really not the kind of work you can do by yourself.
    A: Becuase it requires two sets of hands.
    B: Requires the right tools.
    C: Requires almost a complete tear down of the bike.

If you look for older Viragos on various want add, and sale sites, you will find out tha tmost of the ones that are REALLY cheap have a notation of "starter issues", or "needs new starter", or "runs good, but starter will not turn bike over". And its becuase the starter clutch assembly is a major job to replace. And Yamaha doesnt make parts for it anymore either, i dont believe.

13. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

how many miles do you have on your bike? I was looking into getting a 98 Virago 1100 that I found on craigslist that had 11k on it. It's north from me but I thought it would be cool to ride it the six hours back.

14. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

mines got 24k for a 93 and it runs great (most of the reason i took it in was just because it hadnt been inpsected for next year and just general shit that happens to every bike after time)

15. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

well i got my bike back and now its acting funny...when i go for a ride (before its warmed up) the rpms will randomly skyrocket to like 4k and it today it cut out on me when i tried to take off the choke or if i pull in the clutch because it was warmed up, it dropped to 0 and wouldnt start back up so i had to stop and get it started again i cant leave the choke off at all it seems or it will die now im not a conspericy(sp?) type of person but none of this happened before it went into the shop so am i alone in thinking that they might have done something?

16. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Take it back to the shop. If they're a good shop, they will fix it. If they are bullshitters, well, you know the likely result.

Sounds like they may have missed a vacume line somewhere.

Take it back to the shop, and see what they say.