bike crew..v.cruisers

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by PuertoWreckin, Jul 13, 2006.

1. PuertoWreckin

PuertoWreckin I will cut you.

Recommend me a good cruiser for beginner riders..Im thinking about gettin a Honda Shadow VLX...any opinions on that?

2. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I've been looking for he same thing. Honda Shadow 750; Suzuki Boulevard c50, s50, or m50; Yamaha Virago 700 or 750; Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster.

Those are the oprtions I've been researching. All good rides. Viragos are nice, but they stopped making the larger engine sized ones in late 90's, so for those, you'll need to look for a used bike that is at least 8 years old. Shadows are nice looking, and you can get a new one that's a year old for a pretty good price. The Suzukis are also nice. But I'm leaning towards the H-D myself, for a few reasons. They hold their value really well, there's a lot of customizing you can do to them (lots of parts available), and you can never really outgrow them. The 883cc engine they have shares the same block, rods, and crank with the 1200, so all you need to do is replace the cylinders and pistons (for less than $500), and you have a 1200cc. And for about $4400, you can make it a 1450cc. Check the tech section at www.sportster.org . The resale and ability to grow with me are the two biggest points to me. It's just finding a new one for MSRP that's tough, MSRP is $6500-7300, but the dealership near me is asking $9k for the base model. Might have to make a roadtrip to get one at or near MSRP.

3. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

harley dealerships are known to be jack asses with pricing because if you dont buy it, someone will, and soon.

you might have to bend over and take it like a man if you want a harley because they will be overpriced and theres really nothing you can do about it

4. Subie Driver

There are some dealerships that will charge MSRP, but you need to get on a waiting list at some of them, I hear. There's a dealership a few hours from me that sells them for right around MSRP, kind of a small town. A friend of mine has family down there, so if I catch a ride down with him when he visits, I have the ride back to get aquainted with my new bike. Unless I can find a deal locally, of course.

5. Arsenal4rs

Arsenal4rs BEES!!! MUTHERFUCKIN BEES!!!

I would be remiss if I didnt pop in to reccommend a Virago. any of the ones between a 535 to a 700/750 will be a great bike to learn on, fun to ride, last you a long time, and most importantly be very affordable. These bike are ones you will have to get used (the only Virago made new anymore is a 250 which is rather underpowered) but they hold thier value very well... You can reasonably expect to spend 2000-3000 one one that will be in excellent condition, and if you decide to sell it a year or two later you most likely will be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

They are very pretty bikes too... Low ride hieght and nice plush seats. I have an 84 that runs like a champ... wouldnt trade it for the world.

6. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

sounds like a good deal if you can get a ride down there

7. Subie Driver

I did mention it in my first post. I know how much you love them, you mentioned them in my post about the 883 Sportster. They do seem like very nice bikes, I'm just looking for something newer. Although for the price, they are very nice bikes, and they do look good. Haven't read any reviews about the Virago that were negative.

8. Arsenal4rs

Oh I know you mentioned em.. I just meant that I personally would be remiss... :)

9. Subie Driver

I had a feeling you'd show up in here preaching the greatness of the Virago!:p You're the Virago Acolyte Priest. Glad you are so happy with your bike, I hope I will be as happy with whatever I end up with.

10. PuertoWreckin

PuertoWreckin I will cut you.

Thanks for the input guy...the Virago is really nice!..Its ashame they dont make them new anymore. I dunno, Im a lil uneasy about buying a bike that old. Should I be? Are they comparable to the Shadow?

11. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

All this talk about Viragos from Arsenal4rs got me researching them and they look like very nice bikes. I was looking for a cruiser that I could ride when i'm not riding my ZX. It looks like its pretty hard to find them in my area. It would be nice if I could pick one up sub 2k.:x:

12. Subie Driver

If you're willing to get one about 20 years old, shouldn't be a problem. The US put a tarriff on Japanes bikes over 600cc for a while from the late 80's to the early 90's, so finding a Virago, or any other import bike, in the 700/750 rnge means either pretty old, or newer. The mid-to-late 80's can be found for right around $1k, while the ones from the 90's are going to be a little over $2k, it looks like on eBay, but not a whle lot over.

13. Arsenal4rs

They are fairly comparable yes... and honestly I wouldnt be all that concerned. Its like anything else in the sense that when you are buying something from a person, you should e able to get a feel for whether that person took good care of what you are buying (in this case a bike) while they had it... and its been my general experience that cruisers get fairly well taken care of. My experience from eBay has been pretty good too.. Most of the cases Ive seen there, when a bike does have strange thigns going on, they tell you up front.

One thing with them, and this only really applies to the 80's Viragos is the starter, and mine is no exception. It starts (mine fires right up to be honest) but it sounds nasty. Its a relatively simple problem (stuck shim) and there kits aplenty to fix it yourself, or you could just get a new starter (130 bucks roughly). the 90's era Viragos dont suffer from this really.

One thing to note, the Viragos didnt have the "modern" look that most people want until 1984 (first year they put a teardrop style tank on), so if you start looking at something that doenst have a picture, the year wil ltell you the basic body style... after that, your just going to want to loko for pretty much the same sort of things you would look at in buying a used car... oil leaks, etc...

maintenance is pretty simple too(though the bike is a shaft drive so you do havea rear chamber that needs the oil changed as well).

14. Imagine

Imagine New Member

I've owned a few cruisers, and actually started on one. IMO, streetbikes (SV650s, GS500s, Ninja 500s, etc.) are a little more easy to learn on because they are light weight and have a better balance for slow speed maneuvers.