Bigtime computer problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

At first it wouldn't turn on the monitor. After going to viewsonics website troublshooters guide I switched the plug the monitor was plugged into and the moniter showed the bios screen and booted up like normal.

Thought I had the problem licked. But that was just the beginning.

Then once it booted up I got the blue screen of death. The REAL blue screen of death. The one with all the numbers and stuff telling you to remove any newly added hardware. I followed the intstructions and took off the HD I put on last week. Tried booting up and it booted into safe mode. I decided to remove a couple of programs and was going to remove the display driver when the computer auto. rebooted. Hmmm.. so Ok. I booted it up and it did the same thing again. I got my MB book out Asus P4B533 and looked through the instructions on how to flash the bios. I only get instructions on how to update the bios. Well FUCK.

So I'm thinking that either the vid. card is bad or the bios needs flashing. I don't get any errors on the MB on bootup. It checks everything fine with no errors.

I'm also thinking it could be the ram or MB. What would cause the computer to reboot at odd times. I was in the middle of reinstalling XP from safe mode and it shut down. It will shut down at any time but always within 2 minutes of getting into the OS.

Anyone have any suggestions. BTW the vid. card is a GeForce 4 ti 4200.

:hs:

On a side note I went to the place I bought the monitor at and the warrenty ran out yesterday. The day this started and I thought the monitor was bad just happened to be exactly 1 year to the day that I bought all the components of the system. :rofl: (manufactures warrenty go for another 2 yrs. ;) ) I'm not sure if the warrenties on the other hardware will be honored by the manufacturers, but the viewsonic manufacture warrenty will be good for a while. Right now it looks like the warrenty went out yesterday on all the other parts. :( :rofl: My dumb fucking luck. :rolleyes:

2. eof

eof New Member

Sounds like a heat issue if it is rebooting within 2min of starting XP. Could be electrical too...if you have another computer with a similar sized powersupply (or bigger perferably) swap that in.

3. MP

MP New Member

ugghh, holy jeesus. First off it sounds like your windows software might be corrupted. Driver, old software, it's hard to tell.

As far as the hardware problem the first thing I would look at is the ram of course. take it out and turn it on. If it starts beeping at you that's a sing yer ram is still working. Next I'de swap out the video card with another one that you know is working. If the one you know works doesn't in yer computer then it could possibly be the AGP slot on your mobo or a host of other things. You could always check the fan speeds in your bios, do a visual check to make sure the PSU fan is spinning as well as the cpu fan and case fans. If the bios senses them as spinning at a decent rpm and visually they look fine then heat / sensor probably isn't the issue.

that's a start though.

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I've cleaned the fan and the temp dropped from 50c to 38c then climbed up to 41c where it is sitting now.

I don't have a diff. vid card to switch out so that will be my last issue, but now that I think about it I did boot into windows once and got to the display properties before rebooting and changed to 1024/768 with 16 bit color and everything looked fine. It was at 16bit color 800/600 when I booted it up. (maybe I was in VGA mode) but regardless doesnt that mean the vid. card is working?

Pulling the ram now.

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Took out ram and computer didnt beep. (tried 3 times)

Also one more bit of info. bout 20 min. ago I was going to hit the power button after exiting bios and heard 3 beeps from the MB.

I know my MB manual says that's a sign of bad ram. ( I just chose to ignore that untill now :big grin: . )

No beeps on bootup means bad ram?

6. eof

eof New Member

look at your wires and make sure everything is connected good....then reinstall windows. If it is still shitty then that means it is definitly a hardware problem....I am betting it is just windows being gay.

7. MP

MP New Member

if it beeped when you took out the ram that pretty much means your ram is fine.

8. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

It didn't beep when I pulled the ram.

It's back to what it was doing in the first place. Booting to a screen on the monitor saying "check signal cable".

I'm thinking it's the power supply.

9. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

It was the ram. :( Got an upgrade from 233ddr to 2700 (333) for 20 bucks. Lifetime warrenty on the ram. :cool: Thanks everyone.

10. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Correction. It's not the ram.

I've switched the monitor, ram, vid card and the computer still reboots about 5 minutes after reboot.

I've cleaned the pcu and it runs at 35c.

The mobo is a p4b533 and the chip is an intel 2.2 100fsb.

There's a POS 400w power supply in it.

11. piranicon

piranicon Guest

might be an asus problem. i have a p4s8x. the first mobo i got liked to randomly reboot. sent it back and got a new p4s8x and its been working fine so far.
    asus has gone downhill lately. had to send back an asus geforce ti4400 card cause the fan locked up and gave me no warning till my video cut out one day. not even a year old.