Biggest FAT partition?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MikeHunt79, Feb 20, 2007.

1. MikeHunt79

MikeHunt79 New Member

I'm going to format my external hard drive soon, and I need it in FAT, not FAT32.

Whats the largest I can have with FAT? 128GB?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

3. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

2GB, unless you're using NT 3.51 which supports FAT drives up to 4GB. Why do you need FAT as opposed to FAT32??

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It works great until someone replaces the hard drive with a bigger one and then wants to know why the floppy disk won't restore their files.

5. MikeHunt79

MikeHunt79 New Member

I've got a headunit in my car that has a USB port on it, and plays MP3's from the hard drive. The only downside is that it only recognises partitions that use FAT, and there not much point in having my hard drive in my car if I can only use 2Gb of it.

If it's only 2Gb then I'm gonna have to go for fat32, as my external drive is 250gb, and there no real point in having it in the car. I thought it would be cool to have 11tybillion songs in my car. :eek3:

6. deusexaethera

Hmm...that's a problem. You're SURE it won't use a FAT32 partiton? FAT16 and FAT32 are both open standards, practically even if not legally; there's no reason why your head unit shouldn't be able to read FAT32.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Or EXT2/3 which a lot of newer enclosures use.

8. MikeHunt79

MikeHunt79 New Member

I gave it another go... The headunit actually works with it! It takes over 1 minute to index all the files, and this is why I thought it wouldn't work.

Now I need to build a 12v PSU for my external HD, as I used an extension cable for testing. Once that is done, 250GB of tunage in the car! :bowdown:

9. deusexaethera

I'm sure there are power supplies like that available. The trick is going to be rigging the hard drive to turn on at the same time as the radio -- you're going to have to tap into the ignition, unless you can come up with a way to reinforce the wiring that powers the radio so it can power the HDD too.

(I'd just tap into the ignition, personally)

10. MikeHunt79

MikeHunt79 New Member

I've already got all the bits to put together the PSU... I've been meaning to do it for a while now. It works from any input voltage from 8v to 16v, and it generates +5v and +12v outputs which can go straight to the hard drive inside the enclosure. :)

The cool thing with this PSU is that it's got a separate feed for the relay inside it, meaning I can just wire it up to the ignition wire, and it wont draw hardly any power on the ignition wire... It will draw power from separate wires on a separate fuse, so it's all good.

11. deusexaethera

Nice. Where'd you get this power supply from?