Big Trip

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by shinigami24, Apr 14, 2005.

1. shinigami24

shinigami24 New Member

would a R1 stay together going from Florida to South Brazil? Its a big trip , LOL me and some friends are planning on going to Brazil with the bikes around January.

2. Uween

Uween New Member

hole shit.......

that just makes my back hunt just thinking about that trip...... :eek4:

3. shinigami24

shinigami24 New Member

well we'll be stopping here and there :big grin:

4. Smitty

Smitty New Member

Dang sounds like a good trip and all, but I would probably look into something a bit more comfortable than a sportbike. May want to look into getting an aftermarket seat or something.

Maybe short bus will jump in here. I know he took a long bike trip on his XX.

5. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Make sure you do it Motorcycle Diaries style and ride 2-up the whole way! :run:

6. Peter Gibbons

Peter Gibbons OT Supporter

Yea, a XX is a lot diff. than an R1.

I could see the trip on a fast couch like a Busa just maaaaybe.

You'll prob. want risers in addition to a new seat. What about your stuff? Bags on the R1 :ugh:

7. Team503

Team503 Guest

I have a buddy that rode an R6 from Dallas to San Francisco in three days. About a week's worth of gear with him. I rode a Ninja 250 on the same trip. It was hell. 14+ hours/day for 3 solid days.

You'll DEFINITELY want a Corbin/Sargent/someotherbrand aftermarket seat.
    I would consider bar risers - the comfort will be worth it.
    Raised windscreen - at the minimum, a ZG double-bubble.
    Tankbag + saddlebags = decent storage for a sportbike. Look into the solutions that put a saddlebag on each side and a bag on the pillion seat.
    AAA/AMA Roadside Assistance - you're a fool if you don't get it for the part of your ride in the USA. Check out the AMA's Helping Hands program, as well.
    Tools - you should EACH carry a fairly full toolkit. You should carry enough tools to basically do a teardown on the road. This includes everything you need to change a tire.
    Tires - Sorry, but take off those Sportec M1s and fit a pair of higher wear sport/touring tires. Otherwise, you'll going to be in Perugay trying to get tires flown in.
    Emergency equipment - A cellphone that's GSM (works everywhere in the world), or a satellite phone, is a wise investment. You'll also want a full first aid course with CPR training. Go do this ahead of time - a lot of South America doesn't have easily available emergency medical treatment. I'd suggest visiting a doctor ahead of time and seeing vaccinations you can get, as well as supplies to take with you, like a basic antibiotic.

Good luck, and have fun. Take a laptop and digicam, and document your trip. :)

8. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

I rode from Florida to Seattle on an Aprilia Mille R. They really aren't known for the comfort but it wasn't too bad...