Big Toy For Big Boys - Saleen's Barricade S281 Mustang

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Jul 6, 2007.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Saleen S281 “Extreme” Mustang appears as Evil Decepticon in “Transformers!”

[​IMG]

Saleen Inc. teamed up with DreamWorks and Hasbro to design and produce several vehicles for the new hit movie “Transformers.” After months of conceptual development, Saleen’s Troy production facility took numerous black-on-black S281 Extremes right off of the production line to star as Decepticon hunter, “Barricade,” in the movie. Saleen Troy also built two 2009 Chevrolet Camaros for General Motors to star as “Bumblebee” - Barricade’s arch rival in the movie.

The movie car built as “Barricade” was constructed as a Saleen S281 “Extreme” with stock performance and body components; the same car that you can find in a dealership today. The only element the movie cars lack is the 550 horsepower engine that normally comes as standard equipment on the Extreme. To give the character its evil alter ego, Dream Works also outfitted each Extreme as a Decepticon police car, including a push bar, white doors, emergency lights and Transformers/Police badging.

Barricade was originally scripted as a Formula One race car in the comic book and Japanese cartoon series, but never made it to the animated series aired in America by the time it went off the air in 1987.

Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) was responsible for transforming the Saleen S281 Extreme into the Barricade robot. It took a team of 18 artists to build the Extreme on the computer and 11 weeks to transform it into the Barricade robot.

“We essentially cut up the vehicle,” Dave Floger, model supervisor at ILM explains. “We cut up a standard door panel into five or six sections, and we would cut the hood up into 10 sections. Other animators would take the car in one hand and the robot in the other hand and started moving stuff around until a panel on the car would fly up and become a panel on the robot’s arm. It’s a pretty involved process.”

As one of the most successful toy lines of all time, Saleen has signed on with Hasbro Toys to build a Barricade/Saleen Transformer Toy. The toys are available now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

The graphics are still there, but changed from the movie as well as the light bar.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Barricade came from Saleen already painted black and white and already wearing the dark finish on its wheels. All the movie producers had to add were the light bar, front push bar and decals.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Like every production S281, the three Barricades came equipped with a modified suspension, 20-inch alloy wheels and tires, and oversize brakes. What they don't have is the 335-horsepower Saleen-modified 4.6-liter SOHC V8. They make do with the Mustang GT's 300-hp engine.

3. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

looks like I'll be making a trip to toy r us today. if this and bumble bee are in.

4. matrix243

they sure ripped that goat apart. I'm sure you noticed.

5. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

the only bumblebee I found from the movie are statues.. meaning, they aint gunna transform.

6. matrix243

not quite what I thought they'd be.
    barricade is extremely cheap quality and the transforming bumblebee is $100.
    [​IMG]
    and this does transform.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  7. CJPA

CJPA New Member

8. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

doesnt come out till september :wtc: