Big Time Computer problem, need help ASAP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EffBeeEye, Oct 23, 2009.

1. EffBeeEye

EffBeeEye New Member

So I have Vista Home Premium and I was doing an install of Windows 7 Professional Upgrade and my laptop fell off my computer desk when the install was about 80% of the way through....

I know, horrible mistake on my part. So I picked up the computer and it was still running, everything fine on the outside, but the computer was basically stuck at around 80% complete and would not move so I was forced to turn it off. When I turned it back on, it said how Windows had been improperly turned off so I need to restart, but it gave me the same message every time I restarted...

So...I used my Vista recovery discs and everything was working fine, but now the installation hangs during that too. The weird thing is, if it hangs at a certain time, I will restart, then it will work but hang at a later time. Vista installed and everything, but its hanging right around the time where I'm supposed to get into the desktop during setup.

Could my harddrive be totally fucked from the fall? Or maybe from Windows 7 only installing partially (When I reinstalled Vista it did a HDD format though).

I really have no idea how to fix this, any help would be great. thanks

2. EffBeeEye

EffBeeEye New Member

Also, I should mention, when it hangs I notice that the harddive light will flash on and off in a very uniform pattern, almost as if its stuck or something. I dunno, its kind of hard to explain but it wont have a random on and off blinking like it normally does when reading something.

Ex. It will be on for 2 seconds, off real quick, on for 2 seconds, off real quick....repeated. Like I said, looks like its stuck in a pattern

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

don't those installations usually include some way of doing a physical disk check?

4. EffBeeEye

EffBeeEye New Member

im running chkdsk now, (i got the computer to boot in safe mode) and its saying a lot of "Windows replaced bad clusters in file xxxx). Under that it has some variation of \WINDOWS\System32\RemInst\boot\x64\ru-RU\bootmgr.exe.mui