big scratch, touch up paint?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dan avoN7, Aug 19, 2005.

1. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

Well i'm pretty pissed right now. I've never came close to hitting anything in my car and am always aware of my surrounding. Was dark last night and I was parking at a local store. All the spots were compact and all were taken except for one spot on the end of the row. I start to turn in and my front lip barely scrapes the side of the planter. I didn't notice that the planter stuck out further than the row and unfortunately took alot of paint off my lip. Now the lip isn't in the best condition but now its to the point where i need to do something.

Should I just goto a paint store and try and match the color as best I can (Midnight Black Pearl) or is this something that needs to be painted over completly. I would prefer to just do something cheap and easy as it's just a front lip.

sry for the camera phone pic
    [​IMG]

2. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

Go to a paint supply shop and buy a spray can of the same color. Your car's info tag has a color code, little bet pricey but it’s worth it. First sand the area up, do paint prep, lightly spray just barely ought wait 10 15 min’s spray the first coat, let dry, spray the second coat. Wet sand, polish, glaze is needed, don’t forget to tape. Painting is an art.

If it just the clear coat been scratched you might just get wet sanding paper and see what you can do? 1500 or 2000 grit paper.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Polish the area first, some of that maybe paint transfer from what you hit. After polishing, you will have a better idea of what needs to be touched up.

4. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

yep the first thing right after i posted this was went out and polished it. I used a towel becasue I didn't want any paint getting onto my PC pads. Ended up not being too bad at all really. Bottum part is missing paint which i went ahead and touched up and the top i ended up buffing almost all the scratches out. It's amazing what these products can do.

5. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

I saw the picture wrong looked to me that the scratch went right down to the plastic in a bad way

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Dont worry about getting paint into your PC pads.

Nothing a little bath with some dish soap wont fix.

I wash my pads at least every other detail, been doing it for years. Ive just finally had to replace two which where nearly 3 years old.