SRS Big Accomplishment

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by B_RowL, Aug 10, 2005.

1. B_RowL

B_RowL OT Supporter

I have went roughly 7 months with out pills after being addicted (Vicodin and codeine) and 6 months without cigarettes, with just shear will power. :wiggle:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Good for you. Why don't you elaborate a little more for us? What happened, and how have you been able to stay clean? Do you still drink alcohol?

3. B_RowL

B_RowL OT Supporter

I was constantly feeling the need to do pills and having problems sleeping when I didn't do them. I was craving cigarettes alot, too. After having a bad experience with mixing pills and beer (had an ashtma attack) I decided it was time to quit. So I took codeine one last time and then just faught the cravings. I realized one day that my Dad's side of the family has had a history of cancer (Most of which died at a younger age). Each one of those family members that died as a result of cancer did some form of tobacco, so I decided it was time to quit that also. I was smoking less frequently and just decided that, this was my decision that I would stick to no matter what...

1) No more cigarettes
    2) No more pills, unless they are prescibed by Docter.

I was able to cope with my urges through expressing my problems through music and poetry.

I continue to casually drink (1-3 beers just to buzz) and get drunk about once every 2 months

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I have asthma as well, cigarettes and alcohol are definitetly never helped my situation. Sometimes quitting alcohol, drugs or cigarettes requires an attitude of "I don't use/smoke/drink no matter what happens in my life." Using music and poetry to express your problems is a good idea, writing is very theraputic and expressing your problems oftentimes deflates the urgency of your situation.

However, I must describe how it was for me (and several other addicts of my type.) For me, it was impossible to stop using narcotics without abstaining from alcohol as well. I used drugs because I had underlying issues and the disease of addiction. Using narcotics was simply an outlet for my addiction. If I could drink alcohol, eventually that too would become an outlet for my addiction.

Also, I found it helpful to attend 12-step meetings of the fellowship of Narcotics Anonymous. It was there I was able to lean on other recovering addicts for support. I've tried to quit on my own using sheer will-power, and for me, it was very uncomfortable and basically impossible. I found much more joy and fullfillment experiencing recovery with other recovering addicts who were very much like myself.

You are free to do as you wish, and I commend you for your ability to stop. However, I thought it necessary to share my experience with you, possibly you can learn from it.

5. B_RowL

B_RowL OT Supporter

Good call....it definately seems like my method worked for my situation, but then again I wasn't doing narcotics. I would imagine that they would be substantially more mentally and physically addictive.

6. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

We must have different views on addiction. It's not about how "physically or mentally addictive" certain substances are, you either have the disease of addiction or you don't. Drugs or alcohol are simply different ways in which you can act out in what's known as "active addiction," or sometimes "active alcoholism."

Maybe I mistyped, what I really meant to say when I said Narcotics, was "mind-altering substance." You definitely qualify, if you say that you were addicted to codeine, that would put you in the same category as me (who is an addict who used alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc...) As far as I (and many others who attend 12-step fellowships) am concerned, a drug addict is a drug addict, regardless of the substance (as long as it's mind-altering, i.e. advil does not count).

So like I said, I believe we are in the same category, and mentally, spiritually and phsyically, the same things are happening inside of us. Therefore I believe you can benefit from my experience, and the experience of other recovering addicts. Interpret that as you wish.