Bids being taken on Ram Jet ZL1 crate engine #001

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Bad Mojo, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest has Ram Jet ZL1 crate's #001, #010, and #015 of only 200 produced, and they are taking bids on number #001.

I'm sure I don't have the disposable income for that though, considering GM list price is $25,545. Even GMpartsdirect is still wanting over $20k for #010 and #015.

I'd love to see one of these in a C5, a modern day ZL1 makes me hard.

2. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

3. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

May 15, 2001
    "Designed for ease of installation the Ram Jet 502 needs only 12V, ground, fuel feed and fuel return to run."

Air cooled? :cool::big grin:
  4. Somatic

Somatic OG Lurker ftw

May 9, 2001
    25 G's :eek:
  5. 426Hemi

426Hemi Guest

Hmmm wonder if that would fit in my Impala....... :drool:
  6. stonesfan

stonesfan Guest

I don't understand why that is 25 grand.

The Shelby Aluminum 427 is about the same.
  7. 426Hemi

426Hemi Guest

It is nice, but I'll take the 426 HEMI crate engine for $9,995. Might be outpowered by some, but none can match the mystique of the HEMI name.
  8. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

Dec 27, 2001
    all aluminum block = $6k
    RamJet Fuel Injection = $1500
    Aluminum Heads = $1500
    depending on the rotating assembly used, about $2000
    Having it all put together, balanced, gaskets, and all the other parts... it comes pretty damn close to 20k ... which isn't all that bad for not having to do any of the work...

you'd be hard pressed to put one together yourself even if you were to buy a world aluminum bigblock and skimp on parts such as a cheaper rotating assembly and heads and all that... (but atleast you could use a different, easier to tune fuel injection setup hehe)

the thing that bothers me is the fact that they say its a 454...
    LS7 was the sought after 454...
    the ZL1 was the sought after 427...
  9. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

The new ZL1 also comes with the wiring harness and computer, adding to the cost.

The new ZL1 is 454ci... I'm not sure of the reason for the discrepancy. But I do know why they used the ZL1 name...

There's an interesting story behind the re-introduction of the ZL1...
    Apparently the machine shop that did the tooling for the original engines was changing locations, in the process of packing up equipment they were selling off some of the old machinery they had stored in the back of the shop. They came across a set of machines bearing GM identification numbers and wanted to clear it with GM before selling. They made a phone call and the GM rep they spoke to did some reasearch and discovered that what they had found was all the *original* machinery used to make the ZL1. After the run of engines the shop pushed the equipment to the back of their factory, covered it, and forgot about it. Needless to say, GM jumped at the chance to get back the *almost brand new* equipment. Fast foreword to today and those machines churned out 200 limited run blocks for the modern ZL1.
    Simply put, even though it's 454ci as opposed to 427ci, it's still probably the closest thing to an actual ZL1 most people will ever have the opportunity to own.