SRS bi polar symptoms?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by richbitch1, Sep 27, 2008.

1. richbitch1

richbitch1 Peace OUT!!

i have some emotional and mental issues i have been going to psychiatrists for...he has every explanation but nothing helps me...i have been on celexa, wellbutin, xanax, ativan, man i am really starting to wonder if im not bi polar...i take everything to EXTREMES...how can i convince my doctor that i actually do know a litle bit about what is going on with me? they think they have you all figured out and prescribe anideppressants like wellbutrin(which fucked me up worse) to celexa to lexapro...nothing has helped i feel just as fucked up as ever...xanax helps me calm down but its highly adictive and i dont want that either...any suggestions? my biggest problem is anxiety and depresion im usually pretty happy but when i have my bad days they last like it seems like forever..i take everything to extremes...im either way up or so far down that i can't pull myself up for anything..even my three year old son. i need a little help from someone who has been there...talk to me

2. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

There are so many things bipolarism can be related to. I'm severely bipolar and lamictal has at least calmed my mood swings down a bit.

Bipolarism usually includes having wild mood swings with no certain trigger. Mania's and depressions are usually in these mood swings. Some can last for weeks on end, sometimes they'll only last for a few minutes, but they are basically caused by nothing you can pin point.

I can use myself as an example. One thing gets on my mind. My mind starts cycling this thought over and over, I can't sleep, I can't focus on anything but this thought. The more I think about it, the more negative I turn it. The more negative I turn it, the more I convince myself that's how it must be. If what I'm thinking about has to do with a person, I then take it out on them, with accusing and assuming they did whatever it was I decided in my head based off the never ending spiral of negativity.

Usually after I blurt out my angry nonsense, I go back to feeling 'normal'. I go into some manic mode where I have to just go nuts for awhile, then I can look back on it and say 'wow that was pretty bad/pointless', but I cannot for the life of me see it coming and prevent it from happening.

Lamictal has made these episodes happen less often, and I'm more emotionally stable, but I'm still a very negative person, and I believe that's an entire different issue on it's own, and I'm currently deciding if I should get help for that as well.

Basically, if you're just finding you suffer from anxiety and depression and you have found Xanax to help you, continue with it. Yes, you can develop a dependency on it, but just keep honest with your doctor, and tell them exactly how you feel from one session to the next. If they feel you are becoming and addict, they will ween you off and maybe switch to another less addicting drug. Honesty and open-ness with the doctor is the best way to find the medication you find works for yourself.

As far as the 'I'm either way up, or way down" goes...that sounds more like Bipolar disorder. Again, if Xanax takes that away from you and stabilizes it out, I'd consider continuing taking that medication.

Most of these medications are prescribed for the same disorders. They usually have a main purpose, but many side beneficiaries as far as other disorders go. Again, using myself as an example, Lamictal is an anti-epilepsy drug, but it also has been found to have a good amount of a success rate for bipolar disorder.

Sadly, with these disorders, genes come into play in a pretty big amount. I've pretty much accepted this is the way I will always be, and when my insurance runs out in 6 months, I don't neccessarily know what I'm going to do. All I can do is continue to try and better myself and put my situations into different perspectives, take some natural supplements, and hope I can keep some form of stability.

3. wimp

wimp New Member

:rofl:

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

You could find a good psychologist and get an evaluation/diagnostic impression in a couple of sessions (3-4 maybe) which would be quite different from what the psychiatrist would do.
    Maybe depression is not your real problem and if you were bipolar, it'd be ill-advised to take some of the antidepressants.

5. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

If you arent happy with how your doc is treating you, then find a new one. A good doc SHOULD listen to what you have to say and test you for things you want to be tested for.

If you are bipolar, most of the meds that you have been taking will make you worse off, unless you are in a major depressive episode.