SRS Bi-Polar advice?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cyndia, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Cyndia

Cyndia New Member

Hi all,

My mother was recently (a year ago) diagnosed with Bi-polar... She's had seasonal depression for about 10 years now, and last year she had a situation where she acted up and then the doctor diagnosed her as manic depressive.

Lately she has been so wild and crazy (i think b/c its summer) she has a very short fuse and wants to get in a fight with everyone. On the phone she will talk for like an hour about what she did all day with ever miniscule detail you could imagine. Her relationship with my dad is also going down hill because she is acting up all the time.

Last winter she was VERY depressed..... seems like in the winter shes at an all time low and summer she is like... pyscho.... spending so much money shopping and always on the phone with people.

I'm happy that shes not depressed anymore, but shes driving ME crazy!

She's on medicine right now and says shes feeling great. We say... no... too much of the good stuff b/c she has such a short fuse and is like too active... but she says its perfect..

now we dont relaly know what to do. I hate to force her to take more/less medicine so she is more subdued, if she doesnt want to be........ I'm having so much trouble dealing with it, and I feel horrible for my dad who has to deal with it every day. its like a roller coaster ride with her.

any advice? :hs:

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Be where she is not.

Honestly if your mother is happy that's one thing but (although you can't prevent from making sacrifices to some extend) people shouldn't be destroyed in the process for her happyness. Take your dad out for fishing on a regulary basis so you two can connect and get a rest.

You need to give yourself peace within the moments of the storm. The more you are not with her the more you prevent you from going nuts yourself. To be completely honest with you, dealing with someone who has bi-polar is almost a science in itself http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1572243422/102-5307101-0315341?v=glance&n=283155 i suggest you get this book, you may also find additional support on websites http://www.bipolarsupporter.com/registerreport11/ that will give far more extensive cover on the heapload of support that you and your dad need. And if the book lies at home, your dad can also look into it, which is only benefitial for you as a family as a whole. :wavey:

3. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Many people love the manic side and hate the depressive side. Some even chemically put themselves in manic positions. I use paxil. For me, I can incorrectly time a dose and be like 2-3% manic. If I want to, I can go 15% manic and function, this is where I start spending money and acting strange. You can also go 100% manic where you want to commit suicide one moment then dance 2 minutes later, literally.

She needs to stop hitting the roof then the floor and learn how to maintain middle ground or she will be ruined. I mean, ruined and things arent fun anymore for anyone.

4. Cyndia

Cyndia New Member

well its not intense up and down like that... its just crazy in the summer, depressed in winter

5. fear my vagina

fear my vagina New Member

I am manic, and the best thing you can do, is support yur mother emotionally and let her know that yo are there to support her but when she is manic and acting up with her depressed side, what i like, is for people to stay away and to not try to help cuz it makes all the worse.
    she still is the same person inside.

6. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

She doesn't sound bipolar at all. She sounds like she's got a severe case of SAD. Bipolars cycle from manic to depressed back and forth but not THAT slowly.

Did she get a second opinion?

Also9, what meds is she on?

7. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

take that anti-mental illness shit and get the fuck outta here.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Actually the anti-mental illness crap isn't allowed in here. This isn't a place for proselytyzing new age bullshit. Its more than clear that you're not out to help anyone, you're out to convince people to adopt your strange little worldview. Leave your preaching in OnT. And don't threaten people with the rules when you troll. And buy an AV you deadbeat. You get a pretty picture with it.

9. Cyndia

Cyndia New Member

yeah shes been diagnosed with SAD for 8 yrs or so.... but nothing was working, then 2 yrs ago she had an "outbreak" where she tried to jump out of the car b/c she got in a fight with my dad (i dont really know the details)

she is taking medicine, im not sure what though :hs: its a big mess

10. lick wid nit wit

The ttroulbe with mental illnesses is that medicating them a lot of times is hit and miss.

One of my best friends is severely bipolar and only now after twenty years (she's37) has she found a combo of meds that work for her. She's now on Geodon, Lamictal, lithium and some other stuff and it's working for her after years of trial and error.

it's sad that psychiatric medicine is so hit and miss.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I wouldn't call it hit or miss so much as a process rather than a quick fix. 27 years sure is a while, but how many times did she switch meds?

12. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

go away you pissant.

13. bangbanger

bangbanger Welcome To Banger Country.

Cant help you with that, that is me like all the time... And i have yet to find away to excape.

14. lick wid nit wit

If the Lexapro, Trileptal, Xanax and Trazadone is working, tell your doctor you want to stay on it. No reason to switch. Lamictal has some scary side effects (like a bad skin rash that can literally make your skin FALL OFF) and Lithium, well......I kinda see that as a last resort too.

I'm bipolar too but I'm so mildly Type II that my doctor has me on Topamax and it takes care of my highs. Those are the ones that scare me. I refuse to take any sort of SSRI, shit, any sort of antidepressant at all. I still get depressed but nothing like I did before I was diagnosed.

My bigger problem is social anxiety disorder and PTSD.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Wouldn't an SSRI be helpful for both those conditions, as well as the depression?

16. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

they aren't recommened because they usually throw ppl into manic cycles. Which can be great for a while, then because really destructive. I won't even get into how destructive mine were, but it was bad. :ugh:

17. lick wid nit wit

I've tried SSRIs. They workd for me for about three months and then I tried to jump off a bridge. No shit.

I will never take another form of antidepressant ever again. I don't care what it is, ESPECIALLY SSRIs.

My bipolar is so mild it can be managed with the Topamax. It's the anxiety and PTSD I'm worried about and my doctor agrees that puttingme on any antidepressant is a really BAD idea.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Generally SSRIs bad without a mood stabilizer... were you on both?

19. That's not surprising at all. Both suicidal and homicidal levels of psychosis are pretty common "side FX" with psych drugs. The kids who caused the Columbine shooting incident were also both on SSRI-based drugs, for example:

http://www.happinessonline.org/BeTemperate/p1.htm

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

As opposed to the side effects of scientology, monkey?

[​IMG]

21. lick wid nit wit

I was on both. I was on paxil and divalproex.

I will never, ever, ever take any other form of antidepressant as long as I live. I have it under control with the Topamax.

I also am on Klonopin and Serax for the anxiety/PTSD on an as-needed basis. We be cool. :)

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its funny, but I feel the same way about Topomax. It turned me into zombie. I couldn't think or put together sentences for days. They wanted to put me on it for migraines recently, and I was like NO! Everybody's different, I guess ;)