LGBT Bi/Gay/Lesbian "clubs", purpose?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 3l_Chupacabra, Oct 13, 2006.

1. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

Let me preface this by saying that I myself am straight, but have no issues with homosexuality and bisexualtity and have many friends who are so. I'm not trying to attack any ideals, just want to see what someone elses viewpoint on this is.

I was wondering what exactly the point of bi gay and lesbian clubs is. I don't mean the ones that work for acceptance of the lifestyle like the Gay/Straight Alliance, I obviously see the point of those, but ones that are just a club for bi gay and lesbian people.

I initially thought of it like say, a ski club or something, and meeting people with the same interests as the purpose, but it doesn't seem like that would really be it to me because sexuality isn't exactly a hobby. I mean, I don't join straight clubs, why do some of my gay friends feel the need to join gay clubs? It strikes me as just a part of who you are, not something to form a club around, so I can't quite figure out why there are these clubs. Not to mention some of my bi friends are avid members of these clubs, while some of my friends who are fully gay and completely ok with that fact don't bother.

If I've offended someone, I apologize as I didn't mean to. Just looking for some opinions and insight. Thanks.

2. Notorious R.I.E.

Notorious R.I.E. Queen Bee

I'm not a member of any but then again i'm not a member of any clubs. I don't have time for them and could care less about them. but I look at it from the prospective if you want to meet a girl you pretty much can go out and talk to any girl you meet and most all of them will be straight. Gay people don't always stick out so if a guy wants to meet another gay guy it's alot harder to just walk down the street and do that. By forming clubs you raise your chances greatly of meeting a potential date or even just a friend that understands you and doesn't want to beat your ass for being gay. Just because something isn't a hobby doesn't mean you don't want to still meet others Like you. Clubs are for support, friendships, dating, just hanging out whatever

3. Fate13

Fate13 New Member

Many times these clubs also act as a support group for ppl who don't want to be active in the community but still need help every so offten. Additionally, they are good places to meet potential friends and dates, since like it was said before not all of us are obviously gay and some of us also lack "gaydar" so we need these clubs to help us out in finding ppl.

4. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

What exactly do you mean by "clubs"? Do you mean a club as in an organization where you pay dues, and get a monthly newsletter, or do you mean club as in gay bar/club?

If you're talking about a gay bar/club, here's my insight on it:

Let's face it, the straight population, the majority of the population, still has a hard time with seeing/understanding homosexuality. They look at homosexuals as "queer" (as in strange, odd, etc.), sick, retarded, fucked up, any other negative adjectives you'd like to insert here. As a result, they have a tendency to stare when they see two guys or two girls holding hands, or being affectionate with one another.

For example....I went into the liquor store just now. I was in the checkout line and happen to glance out the window where a guy and girl were throwing empty liquor boxes in their truck. The girl walked up to the guy, the guy bent down a little and kissed his girlfriend quickly on the lips.

Now, if that was me, and my partner, or another gay couple, what kind of reaction do you think straight people in the vicinity would have? Would they pass it off and not think twice about it? Or would they stop, stare, and possibly even say something negative?

A gay bar/club, gives a gay person an environment where they can go and be who they are without feeling like a zoo animal in the middle of an exhibition.

Although give a fag too many cosmos, and they can make quite an exhibition in the middle of the gay club's dance floor; especially when they suck at dancing to begin with. :mamoru:

5. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

on the record: im scared of gay clubs

(im gay)

6. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

The purpose of ANY club is the same: to allow people with similar interests to get together for discussion/activities. :ugh:

Isn't that obvious? :dunno:

7. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

not much discussion going on at a club...verbal at least :naughty: and activities....lets not even go there :big grin:

8. suckmyexhaust

suckmyexhaust New Member

Alot of what happens inside clubs like PRIDE is that is more like coffee chat for the first few minutes, moves on to discussion about upcoming events in the area and from there talks about legislation in the works, and what not to move matters along. You then move into upcoming events and projects and close out the night with everyone singing to Melissa Ethridge or Elton John.

9. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

i was thinking of gay club as in bar, like NOVAJock... there are tons of bars and clubs out there people go to to drink, dance, meet people, and have a good time. and even within clubs there are different floors or levels for different types of music/dancing. some people only go to certain clubs because they prefer the atmosphere there.

and i can completely see what NOVA is saying about wanting to go to a club where you wouldn't feel like everyone is watching you as if you were a show for their entertainment :rolleyes:

personally, i'd really like to go to a gay club - i feel like all the "straight" clubs are just for kids with fake id's to bump and grind until it's curfew and time to sneak back home before they get caught. :rolleyes: i've always thought gay bars sounded like much more fun.... although how do gay people feel about straight people hanging out in gay clubs? i'd hate to go and have people feel like i was there to "watch the show".... :noes:

10. suckmyexhaust

suckmyexhaust New Member

Dont feel like your going there to watch a show. I go to clubs to hang out with friends, meet new ones and eventually go out to steak n shake at 3am.

Go for the fun, stay for the music, remember the drag queens.

11. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

I believe the thread starter is refering to clubs as in a group or organization (most likely based at a school/college).

This thread isn't talking about nightclubs.

and again, I reiterate my previous post: The purpose of ANY club is to allow people with similar interests to get together for activities/conversation/etc.