BFG Motherboard Fan giving Me Problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OzoneGTX, Jan 24, 2006.

1. OzoneGTX

OzoneGTX New Member

When I click the power on, the fan doesn't spin. I have to give it a small little nudge so it gets going. I took the fan off and looked at it and nothing. Is there something I can do to get it working right everytime? I haven't installed a processor or RAM yet, but it does this when I power on the PSU. All the other case fans work. The fan moves on its own every 2-3 times I turn the PSU on. Its a good thing I discovered it before I started using the computer or I would have had some heat damage.

It's a BFG nForce4 Ultra.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Its dying, just replace it.

3. OzoneGTX

OzoneGTX New Member

But it's brand new. I haven't even used the motherboard yet.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Check the voltage on the motherboard where the fan plugs in. It's probably a 12 volt fan, but the motherboard might be cutting down the power to keep the fan quiet until the CPU gets hot. If the voltage drops below 5V or so, the fan won't spin.

Or the fan could be defective. The quick test is to plug a different fan in and see if it works.

5. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

If its dropping the voltage that far there is something wrong with the mobo. Otherwise its the fan.

Either way I hear good things about BFG tech support. They can fix you up.

6. OzoneGTX

OzoneGTX New Member

I think its the fan itself, because whenever it doesn't spin, a little nudge gets it going. If it wasn't suppose to turn on, it wouldn't keep spinning after I touch it. I'll get a litt video to show you guys.

7. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I had a chipset fan that did the same thing. BFG should send you out a new one without you sending the whole mobo back.

8. OzoneGTX

OzoneGTX New Member

I sent them an email last night about it. Waiting for a reply.

9. OzoneGTX

OzoneGTX New Member

Here's a vid. Notice how it move a slight bit but abruptly stops when a turn the power on.

http://media.putfile.com/Mobo-Fan-Problem

Question: can I fuck anything up by toggling the power like that? And is anything else suppose to turn on when I hit the power other than the fans connected to the PSU? Because those are the only things that turn on, even when I hit the power button on the case (I just click on the power button on the back of the PSU in the vid.) Theres no processor or RAM installed. Does that mean that the processor is what makes the hard drive and everything else start up?

10. OzoneGTX

OzoneGTX New Member