better mpg?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mojo, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Mojo

Mojo New Member

i have a 2002 honda civic (4cyl) and was planning to upgrade the exhaust to aide in better mpg, maybe some small gains and style. i would like to know if by running a straight pipe to my muffler (no cat converter), would it help increase or decrease my overall mpg?

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

you live in the bay area, that is highly illegal.

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Ibyourcarisimpounded

4. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

But as for the question you are asking, yes your gains in mpg will be there, they will be minimal though. Like 30miles on a tank driven the same way IF your lucky. Full intake and exhaust you might gain 2-4mpg. Depends on car, and powerband

5. Integrate

Integrate OT Supporter

As what was brought out your gas mileage will be very minimal. Also dont expect much hp gains, although some companies claim like 10 hp from an intake realistically its like 1hp to the wheels.

6. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Integrate it totally depends on the motor. It can get 10hp even 10whp on a motor that already makes 600 just by swapping filters, but I usually say its a 4-5% gain for a full intake, and another 4-5% for full exhaust. So on your 140hp sunflower you will have 154hp with full intake and exhaust. percentage is the best way to guesstimate it

7. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

And its not uncommin to have 15hp at the crank after doing those mods. probably feel 10 to the wheels

8. Mojo

Mojo New Member

did some research and i wont be going catless. but im still wondering about the catback exhaust? i found an apexi exhaust thats 50state legal emissions

as for what motor, its just a factory d17. gaining better mpg is my main concern, then power.

9. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Well if it changes the sound in any way that you like, I guarantee you will drive it harder for the first tank or so, then once you get used to it youll see a little better gains. All your doing is a catback? thats like MAYBE 2mpg, but that might be pushing it. Its not worth the money, the amount youll spend on the catback wont be made up for in saved gas money. Car mods are expensively overprices.