Best wireless access point?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bugmp3, Feb 26, 2004.

1. bugmp3

bugmp3 New Member

I am looking for the best wireless access point. I am fed up with linksys and that crap.

802.11b maybe g

3 Price ranges:

$400+
    $200-$400
    under $200

Thank you!!

2. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Don't know exactly what your'e asking... Alot more to choosing an AP than just price. Specially on the top end. Depends on what features need to be included...

$400+ Your'e talking about very specific like in the thousands for specialized apps. Like external applications in extreme environments such as maybe an Off Shore Drilling Rig??? Or maybe devices more designed for larger networks...

$200-400 Probably your standard Orinoco or Cisco based WAP. Everybody pretty much just repackages the same chipsets with thier badges.

under $200 - Sorry but I would say any newer Linksys products. You know Linksys is owned by Cisco as of middle of last year.

Dunno though. Your problems may be more improper implementation and setup, than a problem with equipment. But I don't know your situation...

Of course, JMHO...

3. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Ignore that person.

Netgear is the way to go.

4. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I have to agree

lately every discussion board is plagued with linksys people complaining about wireless issues..their QA dept went to shits it looks like

I use to be 100% linksys...but for wireless, I WILL stay away :hs:

I vote for netgear as well...check hardforum's network section *www.hardforum.com* and you will see what i'm talking about :hs:

5. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

another :bigthumb: for Netgear

6. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

i prefer netgear as well

7. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

:o Meh. He asked for opinions. I gave mine.

Netgear equipment is alright now that they switched to the Libertas chipset for g routers and an Atheros chipset for their a products. Any older product with the previous chipset was crap. IMO But their older products ruined it for me. I wait a bit to make sure they truly got their act together before using their stuff again. None of MY Linksys WAP's ever gave me one problem...

Just my personal experience though.

And if he's looking for the BEST, why not stay away from all of the entry level crap. Just get business level WAP that is tried and tested in industry and forget about it...