GUN Best ways to improve accuracy with a handgun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SpeedyGST, Aug 18, 2004.

1. SpeedyGST

SpeedyGST Guest

what are some tips for increasing accuracy, i group them pretty well first 3-4 shots but then it seems like im about 3 inches from the grouping.

gun in question : glock 33.

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

practice

3. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

sounds like the recoil is causing you to flinch, or causing your hands to shake after the first few rounds.

where are the shots going?

4. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

You might try getting a practice round and work on form. If I find myself flinching or not shooting up to par I will always step back to a .22 and work on form.

5. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

Don't hold your breath and practice. Make sure you have the right stance and don't shoot on a empty stomach. :o

6. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

Here's a link the U.S Army Pistol Marksmanship Guide.
    http://www.schietsport.be/PISTOL.pdf

It's a long read but really detailed.

Aside from that I would ask around local ranges if the offer one on one traing with someone that can help you out. Most of the ranges around me offer an hour of private coaching for between $20 and $30. It may seem like a lot but some times a trained eye is needed to help you get over bad habbits that lead to poor markmanship.

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Dry firing is a very good way to improve raw accuracy. MAKE SURE YOUR FIREARM IS UNLOADED AND THE AMMUNITION IS PUT AWAY BEFORE YOU BEGIN YOUR DRY FIRE PRACTICE.

Along with what Clean97GTI said if you are shooting a Glock and you have the checkering imprint on your hand for you are probably gripping too tight. I do a demo for classes where I fire a Glock holding it only with my trigger finger and my thumb placed high on the backstrap. The point of the demo is that you don't need a death grip on your pistol and the more you learn to relax in training the more you will be relaxed in fighting. As a bonus, shooting while relaxed makes it easier to shoot well.

8. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Something else I thought of when I re-read your post was that you are looking over your sights and looking for bullet holes in your target. That or you are just flinching when you fire. Both are very common and tough to overcome if you don't actively work on correcting them. Without seeing you shoot it would be impossible to diagnose what you are doing wrong.

9. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

my friend likes to put those plastic caps randomly in magazines so if you flinch it'll show when you dryfire.

EDIT: snap caps