best way to wipe my MBP clean and time machine restore on new MBP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pepe, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Pepe

Pepe New Member

so i have the new 13' MBP on order, should get here within the next couple days. i currently have the early 2008 MBP and a 1TB external HD for my time machine backups, just wondering (like the title says) if anyone could elaborate on how to back this up, restore the backup on my new MBP, and wipe this one completely clean for the new buyer?

as far as time machine goes, i have done backups, but never had to restore to one...yet. will it restore all of my settings (pictures, music, videos, programs, etc) or will i end up missing out on some stuff that i should back up separately on another external?

also i have microsoft office 2008, will i have to reinstall that with the product key on the original MBP or will the time machine backup take care of that?

one last thing that drives me nuts is my itunes library, i have it all setup with smart playlists because everything is sorted by artist, genre, and rating, and before when i have updated stuff or switched comps, i have lost all that and had to go through and re-sort everything which is a major PITA. my current MBP is my first mac, and while i consider myself pretty good on it, this is just waters i have not treaded into yet.

thanks for any help

2. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

if done correctly it should sync perfectly.

3. Pepe

Pepe New Member

how about wiping it clean and reinstalling the OS?

4. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

your old computer or your new one?

5. Pepe

Pepe New Member

old

6. Pepe

Pepe New Member

so my new mac came today, did a complete time machine backup of my old one, and then imported my info to the new one via that.

everything went pretty smooth but i have a couple questions.

1. my itunes library at first gave me an error, but i just had to go in and select it and it brought it up, but the problem is it only restored until like this time last year (obviously a big difference), but how could that be if i just did a back up?

2. my microsoft office is no running on 2 computers using the same product key. i was planning on just leaving it on the old one and purchasing a new version for the new one, but i am quite confused as to how this is working and if it will pose a problem.

3. pictures might be not synced up to date either, will have to compare to my other comp.

thanks for any help.

7. Pepe

Pepe New Member

alright well i figured out #1, used this link (just in case anyone ever encounters this problem again in the future).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

the only problem i encountered was there was no "iTunes Music Library.xml" file on my new comp, so i went on my older one, found it, emailed it to myself in google, then saved it to my new comp's desktop, then followed the steps. it copied everything and now i am up to date with music, all playlists and everything intact.

also, my pics are up to date

so the only question now is the microsoft office programs???