Best way to triple boot?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zanyspy_dude, Mar 2, 2008.

1. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

I have windows xp and ubuntu and I'd like to add vista to the mix.

First I will back up all my files I have from each, then I'm not sure how to go.

I'm going to try to use ubuntu's gpart to reduce the size of the xp partition so vista will fit. Then I will install vista. How do I make sure that grub see's that vista is there so that i can boot from it? Is this full of aidz and fail?

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I haven't done it, but I was looking into this the other day. I was dual booting Ubuntu and XP. XP was the default install and I gparted and installed Ubuntu. Life was good.

I hosed up XP a few weeks ago. I know if I do a reinstall of XP, it will hose grub and the boot partition. From what I read, you can do the Windows reinstall, let it hose the boot partition, and then run the Ubuntu (I think) rescue/boot CD and have it re-create/reinstall grub. This is the theory as I found it on Google. Your mileage may vary.

In the end, I decided I didn't want to deal with dual booting any more and went with VirtualBox and installed XP under Ubuntu. For the work I'm doing, it works great.

3. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

I agree with Astro, running a VM is > dualbooting these days.

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

vista will screw up grub
    do it in this sequence XP > Vista > Ubuntu

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I think the point of the original poster is NOT to screw up grub or the existing installations. If the machine was getting a clean slate, I would agree with your order of operations - leave Ubuntu last which will install Grub and its boot manager.

The trick here is not screwing up the install for the other two OSes. Ubuntu is fun, but I know I spent a good week or two trying to get the drivers just right and I would really hate to reinstall and go through those two weeks again.

From what I've seen on the 'net, Ubuntu's boot CD can reinstall Grub. So install Vista, let it hose the boot loader, and then try recovering Grub. Worst that will happen is you have Vista installed and you can't boot up XP or Ubuntu. If this happens, and you're stuck then you can either try to put XP on and then Ubuntu, or follow Doomsday and put XP on, then Vista, then Ubuntu.

There's a lot of info on the 'net, here's one I found: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/reinstall-ubuntu-grub-bootloader-after-windows-wipes-it-out/

You might want to try out a VM first. Either VirtualBox or VMWare. Decide on which OS will be the host, install the VM, and then from the VM, install the other operating systems. The advantage is you don't have to mess with boot loaders or disk partitions.