Best way to transfer data from desktop to Laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ffxhub, Feb 2, 2004.

1. ffxhub

ffxhub OT Supporter

I got a work laptop that I want to use to burn some shit off my desktop. (Burner Died a few weeks ago in desktop) What would be the fastest way for data transfer? Do they make a USB cable that could do it or should I just setup a network and connect them to eachother with a network cord? Thanks guys!!

2. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

crossover cable

3. ffxhub

ffxhub OT Supporter

Forgive my dumbass, but what is the difference between a crossover cable and a network cable? Same thing with a diffferent name or what?

4. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

good timing, I'm having the same problem. I've been going along with all of the XP wizards that are supposed to do this but nothing seems to work. I was just running a network cable from the laptop to the desktop but every time I try to connect from the laptop it'd get all the way to the verifying username/password screen and then it'd just stop. Eventually a message would come up about the host computer, in this case the desktop, not responding...

could it be that I need one of these crossover cables instead of just network cable? I'm a networking idiot so try to overlook any stupidity this post might include.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

A crossover cable crosses over the pinouts of the transmit and receive pins. An easy way to tell if you have a crossover cable is that the order of the colored wires on either end are NOT the same. A normal patch cable will have an identical order.

6. ffxhub

ffxhub OT Supporter

I see, so basically a cross-over cable and a network cable is not the same thing. So I guess the only other option to buying a cross-over cable is to just get a mini hub and create a network with 2 computers.

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

i use my router. set up a network. works fine.

8. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

I think he got a little too techie with explaining the difference between the 2 cables.

A cross-over cable is mainly used for connecting 2 computers head-to-head with no hub, or switch, in between.

With a normal/straight cable you need a hub/switch/router in between the 2 machines for the network to work.

You can get a special USB cable that is made for connecting 2 computers head-to-head.
    http://www.lpt.com/Shop/shop.asp#NetLinQ
    I think Belkin makes one too, couldn't find it the site is acting really slow right now.