Best way to set up a 250gig Hard drive?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hops, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

I'm building my system with 1 250gig 7200rpm hard drive, what's the best way to set it up? Partitions, no partitions, etc? I've never had larger than 40gig so I have no idea.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can't set it up with no partitions. You must have at least ONE partition.

Coincidentally, I recommend ONE partition.

3. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I've never been a fan of partitions. If I want to set aside an area for MP3s, I make a folder and put everything in there. Games?... same thing. Make a folder, store game related stuff in there.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'd avoid multiple partitions; Windows treats them like they're completely separate disks, which is a stupid way to go about it because you can't use both partitions at the exact same time like Windows wants to do sometimes. It's physically impossible.

Just set it up like any other hard drive. Plug it in, turn it on, partition it, and format it.

5. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

/agreed

I have never seen the point of making multiple partitions on a HDD.

6. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

easy, one partition for windows and one for files, if your windows install borks all you need to do is reinstall and you dont have to worry about your files and backing up etc...

7. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

^ beat me to it :o

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Multiple partitions are useful for isolating the OS and applications from user data, but they pay a price in the performance department because Windows expects to be able to use multiple partitions simultaneously -- which isn't possible when they're on the same drive. So I still say, unless you put your OS under undue stress, multiple partitions are more trouble than they're worth.

ESPECIALLY since this guy probably already has a perfectly serviceable hard drive from his old computer that he could use to store his documents and whatnot.