Best way to run windows on my mbp?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dew, Oct 9, 2007.

1. dew

dew Banned

I have a 15" macbook pro with the 2.4ghz cpu and 2gb of ram:o

i need windows for a computer class im taking and id also like to play steam games.. what is the best way to run windows? and should i go XP or Vista? also should i go to 4gb of ram ?:dunno:

2. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

XP via Parallels :dunno:

3. dew

dew Banned

thats what i was thinking :o what about ram? should i upgrade or should it run fine on 2gb?

4. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I prefer fusion over parallels having used both

5. dew

dew Banned

but for games what do you think :dunno:

6. blown11

blown11 New Member

Bootcamp > *
    `

7. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

Neither are acceptable for games.

What you should do is this. Install XP Via Bootcamp and install VMWare Fusion. (VMWare is far greater than Parallels)
    Then, when setting up VMWare, set it to use the Bootcamp partition

This lets you run the same "Windows" quickly and side by side in OS X with VMWare, or you can boot to it for full speed to play games or use 3D software

8. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

If your looking to play games then you'll need to use BootCamp as suggested and use Fusion for everything else. I don't touch games so Fusion is the way to go for me. I used Parallels for some time but Fusion kicks the living crap outta it. Here's why.

Fusion can allow the guest OS to use more then one processor, Parallels can only allow it to use one of the cores. Fusion can allow the guest OS to use up to 8GB of RAM, Parallels can only make use of up to 1.5GB. Fusion running on an external FireWire drive was still several times faster then running Parallels off the internal drive. I made the switch and I highly suggest others check their free demo.

9. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Active Member

for gaming bootcamp>*
    i just set it up on my macbook so I could play some cs and dick around with some games and it works great. I just grabbed a stripped down version of xp off of torrents and it runs really well.

10. Lucky_721

Lucky_721 Active Member

Fusion works well, I installed Vista ultimate and I havent had any problems with it....although I have hardly done anything with it since osx does pretty much anything.... I will be installing office 2007 tho.

11. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

bootcamp. Anything else are "fine" for small applications, but use resource like a bitch (I too prefer fusion over parallels, I dont know why everyone hype up parallels so much).

and lolz @ games under VM.

12. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

As an 'another idea', i've just downloaded the demo of Crossover this week. I've only used it for Half-Life 2 and it's definitely not as speedy as running natively, but it runs the game perfectly well and multiplayer works great. For me rebooting any time i want to play games is a pita, and this definitely takes first place for me. So long as you don't mind some longass loading times and taking a slight hit in visual-settings, it's a winner. :)

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

That said, Bootcamp is probably the way when it comes to other software, my only experience with it is for Steam.

13. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Crossover is pretty limiting. It only supports a small number of applications (you can run other applications in an unsupported mode but it's even more buggy then). I used it for a while and then gave up on it.

14. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

For some reason, my Parallels installs have run much better than my Fusion installs. I know VMWare SHOULD be superior, but I've never been as happy with it.