WEB best way to request email address? code/template help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Normie, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Normie

Normie The TBW weight loss plan worked for me! OT Supporter

I'm creating a website for a contractor, I would ultimately like to request email addresses from visitors who are interested in their products and services. I am thinking there are two ways to do this, and am not sure if either is the best way.

1.) Making a "signup or request more info" page

2.) Requiring an email address to access document downloads.

I can create the sign up/request page, but have no idea how to make a page require an email address before you can either access or download a file?

Do you guys have any sites or templates I can learn from? Or do you have a better idea that won't seem pushy, and will generate solid emails/contacts?

2. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

if I'm looking for information on a site, and they require me to make an account or supply my email address just to view that information, I close the site and find another.

3. Normie

I'm well aware, and I agree.. But I'd like to get some information in order to follow up with people interested in the services, to send them more information, offer additional services, inform them of added services as they are offered..

Maybe just a mailing list signup or something?

4. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

you could add it to the download page, but put it after/below the download link, and make it optional. then probably have a separate page for it as well

5. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

why not do your first suggestion?

the request a more info page/sign up

6. marcom10

marcom10 ...

www.aweber.com. They have a tool where you can build a form to subscribe to a mailing list. Basically you'll have everyones email in the system and you can send out emails to everyone. If you have any questions ask

7. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Although it isn't ideal, you could set a session variable when the e-mail address has been submitted, and on the destination page, verify the session before displaying the download link.

8. Normie

Thanks for the feedback, I think I have it figured out, installed wordpress (why didn't I do this sooner) so if anyone signs up, comments or wants to contact them they can do it online pretty easily.. I think i will give it a few months and see how that is working.. I'm now doing my best to get them higher in the search ranks :x: