Best way to reduce rattles around my trunk area?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Jan 19, 2005.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Well, other than tightning everything up as good as I can, how else can I reduce the rattles?
    Does sound deadener material help reduce rattles?
    Everything inside the car I can fix easily enough (or so I think :noes: ) But the trunk area is the worst.
    I was thinking of putting some clear silicone (sp?) between the outside panels between my tail lights, that should stop them from rattling, and it's not like I will need to ever take them off....as far as I know anyway..

My car is a 95 Olds Achieva S, 4dr no spoiler.

These are the black panels I was talking about.
    [​IMG]

Bot of course, there is more than just those rattling, any ideas how I can fix these?

2. 04

04 Guest

Yeah I would start with sound deadening. Dunno if i'd use silicone caulk, becauase you might have to remove it someday.

Another trick might be to place a piece of foam between the license plate and the car. A lot of people have had the problem with them rattling against each other, you may be having the same problem.

3. StealthMode

Thats what I'm thinkin.. What kind of foam are you talking about and where could I get some? Home Depot or something? Also, my rear deck is rattling as well, how would I go about fixing that?

4. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

Turning down the volume always works great. :big grin:

5. StealthMode

Even then she rattles... Deep bass will do that though. :p

I don't listen to it that loud anyway, I like to keep my hearing so it is usually at a comfortable level.

6. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

7. StealthMode

Dynamat is a ripoff and I refuse to pay that much for over priced roofing tar paper! :p

Does sound deadener actualyl help reduce rattles anyway? I am getting mixed opinions about it...
    My car is actually pretty quiet on the outside except for the rattles, but once you get in, the bass is nice an loud. :cool: Pretty happy about that, I don't want to have an annoying bass machine on the outside :nono:

8. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

lol I put cardboard behind my plate and it helped the rattling,,,

9. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

most of those panels should be removable. Isolate them from the body with rubber washers, foam or (in my case) some thin carpet. My 96 Cavalier with 3 JL 12s rattled like a SOB, so I spent about $300 for the Rockford spray in deadener and carpet/washers. Worked great, if not a bit of overkill, until less than 6 weeks later when I totalled the car. :(

I've been out of the car audio loop for quite a while now, so I don't even know if RF still makes the deadener that I used... but if you try it, make DAMNED sure to tape off EVERYTHING you don't want sprayed as it WILL overspray no matter how careful you think you are being.

10. StealthMode

Alright, when ever it warms up outside I can work on my trunk a bit. Any chance the tail lights could be rattling as well?

I noticed that under the carpet there seems to be some sort of matt layed down, looks like a sort of sound deadener or something, I am guessing from the factory?

11. 04

04 Guest

Well, the deadener will mass load what you adhere it to, like body panels, etc, and it will lower the resonant frequency. It will also dissapate some of the energy as heat (not much at all though).

So it can definatly help reduce vibrations.

12. StealthMode

Hmmmm... worth sticken a couple hundered $$$'$ worth into my trunk then?

I suppose I can always do that as a last resort too... in the mean time I can just fix what I can..

13. dednyori's

dednyori's Brunettes FTMFW!

I went the cheap route a few years ago. My brother had some access to some of the padding that is sometimes laid down before carpet. We stuffed that in between panels that had rattling. Worked great :bigthumb:

14. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

Rattles are usually the license plate and the panel between the trunk and the rear window.

15. StealthMode

Ok, well under the rear window is going to be the hardest to fit.. Any suggestions on how to effectively fix that?

16. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

:slap:

not the window ...

the PANEL between it and the trunk lid