best way to prolong battery life? when using it at home, do you leave it plugged in?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chau, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Chau

Chau if i wanted to kill you, i would've come in here s

my new macbook just got delivered at home, can't wait to go home and try it out. whats the best way of prolonging the battery life? when at home, do you just leave it plugged in all the time? or is it better to use it not plugged in, let it tdrain down all the way, and charge it up again?

when i first open it, should i do a full charge before turning it on? :o :noes: ;x:

2. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

I think you're supposed to drain the battery 100% every so often (every few months or something like that). I rarely use my laptop on battery only. I haven't been very diligent at discharging it, but it still seems to hold charge well. Perhaps it's a myth, or maybe I'm just lucky. :hs:

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Definitely don't use the battery if you are at home. More charge cycles = not good.

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Don't remove the battery. Doing so will kill the processor speed by 30% or more. This is done because the power supply can't support sudden power requirements sometimes seen by the processor. At these times the battery makes up for the power the power supply can't provide. With the battery removed the processor speed is dropped down to avoid these spikes.

Just leave it plugged in and make sure to cycle it every week or two and you'll be fine.

5. true true