Best way to make a computer secure?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Biomechanoid, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

A friend of mine has had several attacks on his home-business Server/PC, and asked me if I could help him out.

The server connects to the internet through a linksys router. He has mcafree firewall, and runs XP professional.

any help on stopping these attacks from getting through?

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

The most secure system is one with the power off. :big grin:

Seriously though, for a Windows machine all you can do (from a home users point of view) is keep it up to date, run a firewall, and be careful with what you download. If he had more cash, he could throw a hardware firewall out there and upgrade to Server 2003. Ideally, he would use Linux. That would help more than any of the above. Not because it's "better" (even though it is for server work), but because almost all viruses and worms are for Windows.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Like Chris said, it's VERY hard to make a combined server/PC secure. It would probably be better to buy a cheap separate Linux server and then put his PC behind a hardware firewall.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The truth is, he's most likely doing this to himself by downloading and executing something he shouldn't. I'm not saying it's not impossible to attack a computer behind a router, but it has to be a concerted effort, not just your typical port scanning.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Sounds like he needs to be running an uptodate anti-virus as well
    Also check for any firmware updates for his router. Also make sure the router's password is a good hard one and that the remote access is turned off.