WEB Best way to load a really big flash file?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by upparoom, Aug 17, 2008.

1. upparoom

upparoom OT Supporter

50 mb flash file I want to load on a site.

that can be a decently long time of blank space.

any way to put something in its place until it loads assuming you dont want add a pre-loader to the actual flash file?

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

If it's a video, stream it. If it's just a massive flash site, then you should probably break apart certain elements of the website so it loads when a user goes to that portion of a website.

Why feed such a massive site like that to a user if they're most likely going to hit the front page then leave?

3. gobbles

gobbles .

4. Style

Style Boioioioioioioioing

If I ever come across a site that has flash that takes longer than 5s to load, I leave. I hate flash-based website. Even worse, are intros. UGGH! I don't think I've ever watched an intro (always clicked on the Skip Intro link).

Stay away from flash. OK, let me put it in a different way. First thing you need to do is put yourself in the shoes of a user. Then design your site in that perspective. Many web designers put themselves in the shoes of a designer, make impressive websites, but usability could be GREATLY improved.

My .02

5. upparoom

upparoom OT Supporter

Im putting myself in the shoes of the guy that is giving me money to do this.

even after explaining to him that most people dont care about intros, most people skip the intros, etc.. he's still adament about a big ass intro with video/audio/words/transitions etc...

while I hate to do this, he's insistent.

:dunno:

6. Style

Style Boioioioioioioioing

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-convince-a-client-they-dont-need-a-splash-page

That should help :hsugh: