WEB Best way to go about buying a parked domain from someone...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KenIIDX, Dec 22, 2008.

1. KenIIDX

KenIIDX New Member

So someone parked a domain I'm interested in. What's the best course of action I should take to try and purchase it from them? Just e-mail them from the contact e-mail in their whois and see if they're interested in selling? :dunno:

And let's say the person is interested in selling it for a reasonable price... what is my next step? Writing up some sort of transfer contract?

halp? :wavey:

2. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

If there's any contact info on the page then use that, there's some companies that only sell parked domains but others might be people just developing the site still so it really depends.

If there isn't any contact info your best bet is to use the whois tech contact. Some people will give you a REALLY high starting price so don't be scared to haggle - they'll usually come down substantially unless it's a really valuable domain.

As far as action after that hopefully somebody else can shed some light because I'm awful with that sort of legal stuff.

3. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

LEtting them know you want it will tell them it's worth something.

See if it is going to expire, try to get it yoruself. Won't likely work, but better than letting them know right away.

4. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

tru dat, good thinking

5. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

how good is it as a domain? Is it a great domain or just one that would work great for a specific project you have in mind?

If it's a good domain in general then odds are you are going to have to pay a decent amount as they probably know the value. If it's just a random domain that usually wouldn't have a specific use you might be able to convince them that you just like it for a small hobby site type thing.

I get offers on random domains I have all the time and can usually tell those that actually have a plan for them and those that know one has some base value and just try to lowball. If I know they are using it for an actual site I'll oftentimes just let them have it for a fair price. If they are just spectators I make them pay lol.

Depending on the price you can work out with them it's a good idea to go through some kind of escrow service to protect both sites.

If you can't get it regardless, let us know the purpose/name and maybe we can come up with a better one anyway lol

6. KenIIDX

KenIIDX New Member

haha so I e-mailed the contact e-mail of the site but didn't receive a response.... :greddy:

The dude is still not doing anything with the site and it expires 23 Jan 2011.:squint:

Is there anything else I can do to get it?

:noes:

7. KenIIDX

KenIIDX New Member

8. KenIIDX

KenIIDX New Member

9. Coaxsist

Coaxsist Re-create... Innovate

Sounds like your SOL. I had that problem a couple times. I just dropped it and moved on. I don't know what you plan to do though, so I'm not gonna advise you to do anything but wait.

10. OiNK

OiNK Pink Palace

I've had luck contacting the domain registrar and having them contact the owner of the domain personally.

I recall one instance:

I wanted to buy a domain so I contacted the registrar (register.com) and explained how I was trying to contact the owner of this domain who wasn't answering emails to all of the listed addresses on the whois of the domain (I use whois.sc)

They contacted the owner of the domain for me, and facilitated the sale and transfer

paid $5K

11. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Email them off the whois. Tell them your a student and you'd like to use it for a course project. You have little cash (hence the small price offered), but they'll be doing the right thing, because it's for education. Plus they might like the design and pick up some ideas.

12. KenIIDX

KenIIDX New Member

:hs:

13. KenIIDX

KenIIDX New Member

$5K huh? im guessing it was a site that was getting a lot of traffic... this guy hasn't done shit with this one. it's still just parked.

maybe ill go this route though :hsd:

14. KenIIDX

KenIIDX New Member

lie on the internet?? no way broski! :mamoru:

haha jk, but yeah I mean I e-mailed him using the contact e-mail from the whois a few months ago, or whenever i first made this thread and he didn't respond. which is why i came back here to see if there's anything else i can do since the fucker didn't respond.

I guess i'll e-mail him a few more times and then go to his house and knock on his door since his name and address are listed in the whois :mamoru:

15. LowClass

LowClass New Member

Lol someone tried this on me before. Doesnt work dude. What does education matter to me. In my case it was my name, im not giving up my name because you need to do a school project and have $50. I told the guy i would lease it to him for the time period he needed it for the project, never heard back.

16. KenIIDX

KenIIDX New Member

ibitwasArtificial :mamoru:

17. LowClass

LowClass New Member

no it was a kid that was in high school, we talked about it for a bit, as soon as i brought up leasing he was out. He said i should take $50 and i was dumb before that.

18. LowClass

LowClass New Member

19. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

a good domain doesn't need to have a site at all to be worth that, or much more ;). It's hard for us to know if you are offering him a good deal or just another lowballer that thinks they should be able to buy it because they have a "real" use for it lol.

I sold a domain a few months ago for $2k and the dude hasn't done anything more than put a shiny logo and email addy on it. But I also have others that are just parked and get random offers that are silly low ball offers that I sometimes just flat out ignore.

Like I said before (that you completely ignored) post the type/niche of the domain and what you want to do with it and maybe we can all come up with something that is available...

20. XO

XO bee a honey

who is it parked by