MIL Best way to get information?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by supramandrew87, Sep 23, 2005.

1. supramandrew87

supramandrew87 Picture Me Rollin OT Supporter

What would be the best way to get information about mygrandfather and his service records? I have very little information since he had a brain aneurism about 10 years ago. I wasn't old enough to completely understand the details of the Army back then, but now Im interested in finding out more about him and what he did.

I have some pictures and info ready for anyone that can help me or at least point me to a good resource. :x:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  2. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

I tried to do that same thing about my grandpa. They said no :(

3. supramandrew87

Well, that sucks. I don't want to be told no.

I do know he served in Vietnam and Korea, he served with 101st Airborne, 2nd Infantry, and possibly the 82nd Airborne. I have pics of some of his medals, and one oooold pic *shown below*

From what I gather...The hat badge is an Airborne badge which kinda includes all forms of Airborne services. You can see his jump wings in this pic also.

[​IMG]

Here's a plaque he has on his wall...The inscriptions read
    "Organization Day, 1ST BN 50TH INF, 5 NOV 1965"
    "Best Drill Squad"

[​IMG]

Should I post a pic of his Medals? Would that help any?

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Whoever has a Power Of Attorney, or is a Legal Guardian, for your grandfather (I'm assuming he is severely disabled) can submit Standard Form 180 to request his military service records. Follow the link below and print out the form. You should also include a notarized copy of the Power Of Attorney or other documentation showing legal guardianship, along with a brief letter stating what you are looking for (DD214, and copies of all military records relating to your grandfather). Include on the letter all of the details you know, like his Service Number, SSN, Name, Rank when he discharged, Date of discharge, etc.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html

Good luck!

5. supramandrew87

Wow, thanks. Lots of useful info, and providing a link. You're the man! I'll be sure to check this out ASAP. THANKS AGAIN!