Best way to gain weight/muscle mass

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by venom_927, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venom_927

venom_927 New Member

Hey i'm 17 6'0, and 132 pounds. I try eating alot and it seems to do nothing for me. Any tips appericated.

2. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

Lift and EAT

3. temp

temp Coach of the Year.

Define "a lot". Often, it turns out that what you think is a lot of eating is nowhere close to the amount of food you should be eating while trying to bulk. Monitor your caloric intake for a few days and compare it to the estimate of what your maintenance intake should be.

4. venom_927

venom_927 New Member

What would be a good amount of calories to eat every day? Or is it diffrent for every person?

5. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Fat people eat all the time.
    Skinny kids eat sometimes a lot, sometimes not at all.
    If you want to gain you have to eat a lot all the time, lift a lot sometimes and get some rest in between.

6. temp

temp Coach of the Year.

It's going to be different for everyone, but there is a sticky at the top of the forum that has a few formulas to predict what your maintenance intake should be. I would imagine it would probably take you somewhere between 2800-3000 calories to bulk effectively.

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

wait for it...

[​IMG]

8. venom_927

venom_927 New Member

Allright thanks for the help guys :)

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

The reason why a lot of times you'll be thinking you're eating a lot is because you'll eat one or two huge meals a day... the problem with that is it's inconsistent and doesn't allow for maximum caloric intake. By spacing out your meals and making them smaller you can eat more consistently and overall consume more food.

Try eating 6 meals a day which should be about 500 calories each. This is especially hard for people in high school or who work demanding jobs, but if there's some way you can do it that's how you'll get bigger. If not then make peace with being a skinny kid and look forward to next year when you can have the freedom of planning your own schedule to fit your needs (assuming you're becoming a senior this fall and will be done with high school next year).

I weight trained for 2 years in high school and only gained something like 20 lbs over the course of that time (I probably also grew an inch taller, so that makes my gains even worse) doing hypertrophy lifting (supposedly the best type of lifting for gaining mass) and that was because I hardly ate any breakfast, I'd eat a large lunch at noon, and not eat until 6 or 7 at night when I had dinner. I was probably eating way less than maintenence and certainly not enough to bulk up (and it's no wonder I started smoking cigarettes at a young age... I probably would have been hungry all the time if I hadn't).

Also don't smoke. I'm 19 now and finally quit smoking daily, but still smoke when I drink and it's a horrible habit. Just some OT advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2006
  10. hitmikey

hitmikey DRIVEN FROM WITHIN

i was drinking a hot chocolate and contemplating the deaths of immediate family members

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

hot chocolate in the summer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.