Best Way to count records in spreadsheet?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, Oct 25, 2005.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Ok - here's the problem

I have a crapload of records at work - think of it as like say items we ship out to customers - each row in this excel file is a differant record - what I need to do - is count up all records based on the customer name.

I know i can use "subtotals" on excel - but there is two problems with the subtotal function:

When it does subtotals - i can't easily copy the whole records or anything.

i don't know how to explain it - but subtotals isn't doing what i want - anyone know of any add-in or organization program that can group data in a spreadsheet together.

i would love to find a freeware one that has fuzzy logic on it - to handle typo's since i know they happen frequently

Thanx for any help you can offer!

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Can you sort the columns by customer name and then count them that way?

When I have to count similar things in Excel at work, I create a new column and put a 1 for each one I want to count then sum that column.

3. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Not exactly, i can't do it manually - there are roughly 40,000 lines here

4. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

make a new column and put 1. then drag the corner of the cell down till u get to the last record. then sum the column

5. cassetti

cassetti New Member

i want to count the various ones

like there are 40,000 records, but there might be say 10 or 20 for the same guy, i want to count how many per guy.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

This would be cake in SQL/Access.

Use the right tool for the job, make your life easier

7. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

There's not going to be a way to do this outside of VBA and even then I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Here's a dirty way to do it

Run a filter for only unique customer name data and save that to a new sheet. Sort that sheet by customer name. Take that list over to the original sheet and type out a quick countif statement for each range and name (assuming there aren't thousands)

8. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Count it manually! Hire the homeless guy downstairs for an afternoon.

1, *press down*
    2, *press down*
    3, *press down*
    20,000 *press down*

9. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

He might not be freeware, but if you buy him a fifth at least you'll get fuzzy logic :hsughno:

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: There is no reason why a spreadsheet should have 40,000 records in it.

12. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

There's nothing at that website that can do this. Counting unique values wont allow him to sum the number of sales to each unique customer and tagging duplicates wont help since he can't tag each duplicate with a unique value

13. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

What are you talking about:

The info on that website will allow him to do exactly what he seems to be asking for.

edit: and here is how since I guess it's not obvious:

1. Use the info from the site to to extract a unique list of customers to another column (pref. on a separate worksheet)
    2. Use that list and a sum(countif) formula to count the instances of each name in the order list for each unique customer in the list created in step 1. Info on Countif is also on that website, just check the index if you/he doesn't know how to use it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  14. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

No, there are 40,000 records of sales but say 100 customers. He needs to total how many sales have gone to each customer (that's my understanding).

That website will not show him how to do that.

The array formula for dup entries on that site (and any other method of simply tagging dups including conditional formatting) will not work because it will simply display "duplicate" next to each entry that has a duplicate customer name ... however all that will do is put a bunch of "duplicates" down 40,000 rows of data, and since all that column will display is "duplicate" and not a unique value for each unique customer it will bring him no closer to being able to count the number of records for each individual customer.

Counting the number of unique entries in the list will do no good because it will only tell him how many unique customers he has and not how many orders have been made by those customers.

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

re-read the edit.

16. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Holy shit, all you just did was tell him how to do the same thing I proposed yesterday ... but with the added headache of using a formula to get a list of unique customer names instead of just running a simple filter. And that still doesn't solve his problem since there could easily be 1000 unique customers and who really wants to spend the time writing out a countif for 1000 different customer names.

17. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Pretty much what I said...

You didn't answer my question... Can you sort the spreadsheet by customer name?

18. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Only a total dumb-ass would. That's why you extract the unique list. Duh. Create the first one with a reference to the cell with the first unique name in (instead of explicitly putting the customer name in) then copy, highlight the rest of the range, and paste. Excel will automatically change the formula for each row.

19. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

As far as I know Excel will only change the cell reference (assuming it's not an absolute) when you copy the formula down a row or column, not the data in the cell itself. Maybe that's just my own excel shortcoming though :dunno:

20. bradj

bradj give him the stick...DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK!!

Pivot Table.

21. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Exactly. That's why you reference the name in the unique column cell to the left (for instance). So on row 1 you are comparing the name in cell A1 to the orders list, then copy the formula to row 2, and excel will change the reference so it is now comparing the name in cell A2 to the order list, etc. That way you only write one formula and copy it down the column, with explicit ($A$1 for instance) references to the order range and non-explicit (A1 for example) references to the cell in the unique list.

It does work. I had to do this a log file once. I converted it to a CSV, imported it into excel, extracted the unique events and counted and sorted them by how often they occurred. Not elegant but it was fast and easy since I only needed the info once.

22. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Yup you're right. If you do this method just make sure that as you copy the countif equation down you use explicit values ($A$1:$A$4000) for your range.

23. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

40,000 lines in an excel spreadsheet... Why not merge this onto a database? You're going to outgrow a single Excel worksheet at around 65,000 lines.

24. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

BTW most of these ideas all revolve around the idea that the duplicate names are exactly the same. For instance, John Smith on all orders, not John Smith on one, Jon Smith on another, and john smith on yet another one. If they don't match exactly, that's going to make it extremely difficult to do.