WEB best way to combat phpbb3 spam?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by blinger, Feb 12, 2009.

1. blinger

blinger Guest

i havent done much research yet but the google links i've found were from 2007 so I doubt those measure are still productive. I'm looking for a mod or other code implementation to secure this board from bot registration

2. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I added an extra registration field to a phpbb3 that was getting 1000's AND 1000's of bot posts

"Is fire hot or cold?"

All it took....Problem solved. Bots don't know what to do when they see something unique

3. HYBR|D

HYBR|D Beep Beeeeee'p

Maybe try the Anti Spam phpbb plugin from stopforumspam.com

http://www.stopforumspam.com/downloads

it's for phpBB2 but it isn't that difficult to port phpBB2 mods to the new phpBB3

4. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I think the method I used involved something like adding a required field to register w/ only one valid option (ie. no additional coding), then a little hack to hide the answer. If you want me to look up the code and post it lmk, it was pretty simple.

Anything that makes your reg form the slightest bit unique from the 10 million other phpbb boards will do the trick

5. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

install vbulletin

6. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

no shit....seriously, phpbb's decent, but compared to vbulletin it's a fucking pos. any forum that's worth having at all is worth every penny of the $180 license fee

7. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

Came in to post that lol. :mamoru:

phpbb is actually pretty decent overall but my god the spam is annoying. I tried some of the basic tips they had on the forums but most didn't work or only worked for a short time as the spammers just adapted...of course they lurked the same forums and updated as needed lol. I just ended up giving up as I don't have time to update every week.

8. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

you're talking about people manually registering their bots and setting them up specifically for your forum? The phpbb board I fixed was getting 1000's of bots registering/posting a week, and the added field into the registration page stopped that problem 100%. Forum itself doesn't get any traffic, it's part of a PR3 E-Commerce store. http://tinyurl.com/bkbtqj

talked them into vbulletin on another site (a PR5 site) and get zero problems whatsoever from it
    http://tinyurl.com/cp4qsl

Still don't get why they want to run them at all, only time we ever hear them mentioned is when customers start calling asking why theres penis enlargement pill advertisements on our site :rolleyes:

9. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

no, they are all just automated spambots. But it was for a site that got maybe 100 uniques a day and figured a forum would be a good addition. Only took about a month for the spambots to flood in like crazy. This was a slow, no PR site too lol. Just wasn't worth the time.

I did read some of the suggestions that were on the phpbb forum at the time but many said those weren't working either. Didn't try much beyond that though.

10. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

On PHPBB2 (similar) I changed it so they were rejected if the signature, website or another field was submitted on registration. I took these fields out of the reg form .. so if they got submitted you knew they were bots and dumped them. Also I changed the default time zone to "IM A BOT" .. if that didn't get changed then they were a bot ... the bots now are using England's timezones though. There are lots of lil tricks like that in addition to the std visual confirmations ...

11. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

If that's the case, I just don't see what a bot's going to do when it runs into an extra field in the registration form asking a random question like "is fire hot or cold" :dunno:. It would have to be programmed specifically for your site.
    if the bot is smart enough to know that fire's hot then I'd just give up :mamoru:.

All I know is, from my experience that phpbb board I posted was a bot free for all, and I added just a basic 2+2=? question, cleaned up the boards/users/blocked ip's, and all the spam stopped immediately ever since. And the main site that forum is part of is PR3 and get's about 250,000 page views/month, so you'd think it'd be a good target. :dunno:

12. dmckee77

dmckee77 New Member

I really like that idea. :coolugh: