best way to clean towels?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dan avoN7, Jun 1, 2004.

1. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

well after using some towels that i found around my house that felt soft and would be good for dacp, swp, s100 they turned out to be pretty bad and put small scratches in the paint. I went out and bought some micro fiber and terry cloth towels.

Its now time to sfp and s100 my car, maybe dacp if im not too lazy. After using the terry cloth towels and microfiber from last time i didnt wash them, just left the product on the towels. Did this ruin the towel in anyway? Also for the terry clotch, microfiber, and chamois whats the best way to clean them? Do i put them in a washer/dryer and use normal soap as with washing clothes? or do i rinse them in a warm bucket with soap, if so what kind of soap?

2. perry

perry burp

I wash mine with a mild detergent in the washing machine, no bleach, no fabric softener. It's recommended to keep terry and mf towels seperate, but I don't ever have enough towels to make running the machine worthwhile. Never noticed any ill effects from washing them together (lint on the MF's...), YMMV. Hang to dry, or make sure your dryer is clean of softener and use low/no heat.

:dunno: about chamois, but if you're using it for drying, you might want to look in to a waffle weave mf towel instead.

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:werd: Ditch that chamois and get some waffle-weave MF towels. If they're too expensive, just get some big regular ones. Try www.pakshak.com, he has all different sizes and varieties.

4. Don_Rumsfeld

Don_Rumsfeld Guest

in the car section at walmart they sell "drying" towels that are microfiber and are HUGE!

I can dry about 3 cars with one easily before it gets damp.

5. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

do you guys all hate chamois?? I have a pittards dry soft, and I love it... but i've never used an MF towel.

I just wish I could find some chamois soap. I haven't seen it in years.

6. Don_Rumsfeld

Don_Rumsfeld Guest

chamois are for pussies who like the water blade and the absorber

7. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

well i don't use a water blade, but I like my chamois. Would you care you explain what is so bad about it?

8. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

its not an actual chamois that i use. My friend gave me one that he took from when he detailed cars at a pontiac dealership. I am pretty sure its the waffle type microfiber. It its really spungy feeling and has little bump type things on it. I use it like a chamois though, soak up all the water then squeze it all off.

9. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

okay done washign, i just did the handwash option on our washing machine. Towles are drying now. I should probably make a new thread for this but i bet its been asked before. The last time i DACP and SFP my car i still had a decent amount of swirls. What does this mean exactly? Was it just the no name towels i used, not enough product, not rubbing hard enough?

Also when applying the S100 wax should i use the applicator pad they give you or use the terry cloth i have to apply it and mircofiber to take it off?

10. perry

perry burp

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=782150 for how to apply DACP/SFP by hand. You probably didn't work em enough.

I use a foam applicator to apply S100.. just little yellow foam circles that you can get at just about anyplace that sells car care products. Remove it with a microfiber towel.

11. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

well i used dacp on the fenders and rear fenders of the car. SWP on the same spots plus the trunk and sides of the car. And S100 all over. I was sorta lazy and didnt feel like doing the bottum parts since it was getting dark. Had a car show at my high school for the friday activity today. Heres a pic of my car. The parts i used DACP and SWP look great, no swirl marks even with the light hitting it diirectly. I guess the new towels and some more pressure on them helped out :) The picture kinda sucks for showing the car since its far away.

[​IMG]