GUN best way to clean old guns?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BlackdeathM3, Feb 24, 2007.

1. BlackdeathM3

BlackdeathM3 ************************

my dad has a bunch of old guns. he got out of the hobby about 20 years ago, and they have been sitting in the attic the whole time. :(

I know he has 1 or 2 handguns, double barrel shotgun, .22 rifle, and a couple of others.

He told me that the slide wont even move on the handgun, I don't think he forced it, but obviously it doesn't move freely. All the guns are rusty/etc.

What should I get to redo these guns? Are there online manuals on how to tear down the guns to clean them fully? What kind of cleaning stuff do I need to buy to bring them back to their glory? All I have right now is some break-free that I use on my pretty new remington shotgun(my only gun at the moment).

Dads pretty depressed that he let the guns get this way, I really want to clean them up so he doesn't feel as bad, and plus I'm pretty sure he is going to give them to me, so my collection will grow!

thanks! :wavey:

2. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

My cousin has a car repair shop that has a machine called a degreaser. You basically put a car part in it thats all nasty rusty and greasy. It uses some type of liquid to remove all that crap.

If you can get the stock off, and have a friend that works at an auto shop....that might help.

3. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

alot of clp*bbreakfree,fp10 kroil,ect ect*and alot of elbow grease.
    i also used a stainless steel wheel on a dremel

4. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

This depends on several things. First, are they valuable guns? If so, you have to tread lightly. If not, you can knock yourself out. Soak the stuck slide in something like WD40, maybe even overnight. Your gunshop (not necessarily the box stores) will have a paste by the name of Flitz which you can use with 0000 steel wool even on blued guns to remove minor surface rust. I'd steer clear of a dremel unless the guns aren't worth anything. You can have most things refinished for relatively cheap, but it kills the value of old or collectible guns.

5. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

If theyre rusty, have them reblued or whatever if theyre worth the money.

Or just duracoat them