Best way to build up for someone new to working out?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Pete, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete

Pete "Thats what I heard"

Im 25 and have never gone to the gym to work out but I am joining one now and need some advice. Im 5'9" and 145lbs right now. So I am pretty thin and want to bulk up. Im thinking about setting a goal of 10lbs in 6 months and 20lbs in a year. Just looking for tips on workout routines and tips on what to eat. Basically I don't want to get too huge but I do want to look cut/well defined.

2. Fireman68w

Fireman68w Banned

If you worked hard enough you could get 10 pounds in 3 months easy. Basically take a couple weeks to learn the new lifts and get the form down. Go at a moderate weight for this and just try to get into a routine. Noob gains should come fast within the first couple months or so. You can either pick a basic 3 day split or you can go for more if you are up for it. Look at the stickies also. For what to eat I would stick with whole foods and try to eat little processed foods as possible.

3. Memor

Memor Active Member

Always keep in mind that this is like talking about basketball practice and saying "I don't want to make it into the NBA and be all superstar baller and shit." Getting 'huge' is hard and takes years upon god damn years of dedication. You won't wake up one morning and go "oh fuck!!! I'm huge!! where did I go wrong!!"

Otherwise it seems like you have the right idea. Get a solid diet in check, look over the stickies, if you have any specific questions ask F&N and hope for 1 non-sarcastic reply per 15 replies. Look at NoQuarter/Pur's stickied diet to get an idea of good foods, and read andrew_p's Nutrition EDU. Don't neglect any part of your body in training. Check ego at door. Don't be a vagina, etc etc etc the rest follows along

4. Pete

Thanks, reading over the stickies now.

5. Memor

Memor Active Member

I'll be honest there's some shit in there and the nutrition EDU that I have no remote clue what it means, don't stress about detail and every chemical minutia; keep things as simple as possible and learn what works for you...as long as you get the general gist you should be good to go. If you have a buddy that is familiar with training, get him/her to go with you the first few times and show you proper exercise form. Or get a session with a trainer at the gym and ask them to show you ok form.

6. giz

giz Active Member

well said.

Eat right, lift hard, and watch your body transform.

These next few months will be exciting for you.

7. Pete

Yeah, there is a lot that doesn't make too much sense to me yet but I know I will pick it up. My friends are lazy, I tried talking them into joining with me but they are no go on that. <--- One of the reasons I want to work out, tired of being lazy. I was thinking about getting a personal trainer for the first couple weeks or how ever long it takes to teach me how to work out.

8. HardTech

HardTech hungry

go easy the first 2 months or so while your muscles get used to working out. Stick to the compound movements, and don't push yourself too hard.

After you start getting used to working out and eating more, go balls to the wall. As a beginner, you can easily gain muscle. Just keep at it and don't give up

9. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Fight Club program ftw

10. CPop

CPop New Member

Try to lift with someone a lot stronger than you.

11. CrazyFoool

CrazyFoool OT Supporter

my advice would be to just get a rhythm.... a routine of going. that part is much harder to pull together at first.

12. tqpolo

tqpolo ***** Platinum Member OT Supporter

I just joined the gym 6 weeks ago. I'm doing the routine by PurEvl (stickie). I already gain 8 lbs. I'm sure I can gain 10 lbs in 2 months. My size is similar to yours when I started. I eat normal portion food 3-4 times a day plus a protein shake before bed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.