best way to backup users data on the server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by saleen1_sr, Feb 23, 2005.

1. saleen1_sr

saleen1_sr Active Member

Need input on what you do with your company. Not to get flamed, we just got servers with enought disk space on the server to backup users data. What will be the best way using a Active Directories server? We are Using HP proliant ML 330's. I also need a good way to reimage our pc's incase of operating system corruption. We currently use bootable cd's with ghost reimages but it will be very expansive to ship out all those cd's to all our branches.

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Each of our employees My Docs folder redirects to their F: drive which is a directory on our file server. I use Backup Exec to make daily backups...

4. saleen1_sr

saleen1_sr Active Member

yea, we have more than that to backup on users system.

5. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

What exactly are you looking to do? Backup workstations daily? Backup servers only? Is there a reason you're storing data on the workstations, as opposed to configuring your applications to use a centralized file storage system?

Give me a PM if you want some local assistance with this.

6. saleen1_sr

saleen1_sr Active Member

We have a way to backup the server info on a backup tape and we mirror it to another hard drive on the server. What we need is to back up the users data on the workstation to the server. The main data that needs to be backed up are email, my docs, a credit software data and some other programs we use. The servers are located in their branch with a branch having about 10 to 15 users. they have their own router and their own AD server.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Why not just give every user a network folder to to save their info to? Like I said above, we re-direct the My Docs folder to a network folder that gets backed up daily.

I'm not sure what to do about e-mail.

8. saleen1_sr

saleen1_sr Active Member

They do have their own private folder on the server. Just that these users are so busy or such idiots that they dont backup their stuff to their personnal drive. I have to babysit and find a way to backup their stuff automatically to the server just incase or operating system failure or hard disk failure.

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I hate to say it, but if something gets lost, it's their fault. I tell the employess that here all the time. The network drive is there for that reason and they know that. If they don't back up their stuff to My Docs and the system fails, they're SOL and it's happened before.

The only problem I see is with the e-mail and I assume you don't have an Exchange server.

10. col_panic

yeah, we also redirect the mydocs pointer to the network. users think they are saving on their machine, but it goes to the server.

11. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

you should be able to redirect the email to store on the network drive as well. at least with outlook you can

12. saleen1_sr

saleen1_sr Active Member

well, one of the problems and the reason I want a backup program is to backup a program called MarketerPro wich stores data in c:\Marketerpro. That cannot be redirected so I guess I wil just use microsofts backup program. I really want this backup to kick in right when they close the computer.

13. col_panic

you could write a batch file in the c:\marketpro directory that will copy the data to the server and schedule it

14. Scoob_13

It'd be easier to manage if he created a login script that copied it to a centralized directory using the %username% environment variable for the folder name (assuming he's working with multiple machines & instances of this one directory that he needs backed up). Then he could just the the script on logout.

Also, can you not redirect the My Docs to a central directory? That would be much easier than worrying about them on the users' computers.

Also, is there a reason they're not using Exchange, and are just downloading all of their mail to their computers?

The more centralized that you can become, the easier the administration.

15. col_panic

this is True

16. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

while we're on the topic of server backups, does anybody have a recommendation for an external tape drive? a lot of the hardware sites like anandtech don't really have reviews for things like this (tomshardware has one but it's a little dated) and there are like 98234978324 options out there. dlt? sdlt? dto? what? this is for a dell poweredge 2650. a 40/80 or 80/160 drive should be sufficient, we have a raid 1 setup w/ two 73g drives, and will be adding another drive for logs.

17. Scoob_13

What's your approximate budget, your projected data growth rate, and your current data size?

18. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

short term - back up < 100 gigs of data (currently at 6gigs collected over the past 2 years from ~1000 devices in the field) on a single shared web/database server

long term - back up who knows how many gigs of data from different database servers (data collected from 50k+ devices reporting in the field) archiving every so often

so in the long run, we'll be having multiple servers, but for now, we just need to back up a single server. current budget is between $1k and $2k

19. Scoob_13

If you have a Dell account, you could probably swing a decent deal on a Quantum DLT drive (DLT VS80) - I would suggest the 40/80 since your budget is so low. You will also need backup software - purchasing it at the same time as you pick it up from Dell would get you a decent discount as well.

As for BackupExec (which I would recommend for your application), depending on what you're tying into (Exchange, SQL, desktops & workstations) they have different add-in options. If you're going to back up 1 server, you won't have to worry about purchasing additional agents.

If you can break that $2k barrier, I would suggest picking up the DLT VS160 (the 80/160 version). If possible, put the drive on a different scsi adapter for optimum performance.

Depending on your definition of short term and long term, you may want to take a look at DLT 100/200 tape drives. They are significantly more expensive, however they wil give you a better return on your investment if you're aiming for 100gigs+ of data within the usable life of the respective drives.

20. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

hmm we already have Retrospect 6.5 running here in the office to back up all the workstations/CVS tree/etc, and the license we have allows us to run it on two servers :) afaik, Retrospect also has SQL server snapins available, but I've never tried it out. What's your opinion on Retrospect vs BackupExec?

We'll definately be getting a separate scsi controller, but the only one "officially supported" for use on our server (Dell PE 2650) is the Adaptec 39160 which is overkill for just a tape backup, right?

Thanks for the help :)