Best way to backup music?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ruddah, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Ruddah

Ruddah New Member

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to backup my music to my external hard drive while still keeping some music on my computer.

Basically what I'm trying to do is move all my music to my external hard drive and then delete some of the music from my computer except things that I always listen to. But my problem is, when I go to backup my music in the future, most of it is all on the external except for the new stuff I have downloaded. So what would be the best way to be able to keep backing up my software with only the new stuff I have downloaded. Does this make any sense?

2. CodsterTX

CodsterTX OT Supporter

um moving files to an external is not a "backup" unless you keep those files on your PC also

3. 7960

7960 New Member

no, it does not make any sense.

sort your music by date and copy huge chunks at a time, then delete from your PC.

and codster is right, you're offloading, not backing up. are you trying to make sure you dn't lose it or are you just freeing up space?

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Use SyncToy, set it to "contribute" - this will add new files to the backup but won't delete anything on it.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Once a year I use a backup program to backup up my music drive to DVD's. I keep 2 years worth of DVD's.
    Each time I do it it is a full backup.

Kind of a bullshit way of doing it though. I mean, only doing it once a year means that I have 364 days to loose anything that wasn't on last years backup.
    Still, the vast, vast majority of my music is from my CD collection that I started when I was in my late teens. So I suppose it serves a purpose.

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

most backup software can do incremental/differential backups after a 'full' backup

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Dude, you do a backup once a year? :eek3::ugh::noes::mamoru::nono:
    Why not get a couple external drives and backup your shit properly, on a regular basis, instead of burning all those DVDs. I mean, they're relatively fucking cheap nowadays.

:mamoru: