best way to back up a computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by granto, Jun 7, 2005.

1. granto

granto New Member

looking to back up a computer, where i can easily restore the entire thing anytime.

I was looking at the Buffalo Terabyte Station. Any ideas?

2. Click!

Click! Guest

the way that i did it was i got a external hard drive and copyed all my files onto it, there a bit pricey but its good for backing up your computer

3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

not really backing up, but if you want to be able to restore, a ghost image burned onto dvd would be quick, easy and pretty cheap. for data backup i rely on tape

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yup - a cheaper alternative to tape is CDRW or DVDRW though. With this configuration, I would recommend that you store docs on one partition and programs/OS on another. Some people will recommend 3 partitions but since you have to reinstall the programs anyway, I don't see the point.

But once againl, Ghost > *

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

do you (or anyone else) know the reliability and life expectancy of rewriteable optical media? i have never trusted it

6. 5Gen_Prelude

Well put it this way, you can back up your HD EVERY day for about 25 cents - and this is without using any rewriting media. Would I use an incremental backup? No, but I don't have 4 gigs of data that changes every day either. Optical media should last longer than magnetic media if you store it right. And everyone owns a burner - tape backup devices are pricey for what you get.

I did use a 40 gig tape backup at work but that's because of the sheer size of the backup - anything under DVD length, it just simply isn't worth it.

7. granto

granto New Member

well I'm switching out hard drives. So I am looking for the easiest way to take everything from one hard drive, to another.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

Pretty much all HD manufacturers have utilities that will help you do this if that's all you're worried about.

9. cfordhere

cfordhere Guest

could just slave the old one in and transfer any items you want over after you install OS on the other hard drive. then when your done delete the partition (on old hard drive) then remove the hard drive and your done.