best used car for $20-25k?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ohgod123, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ohgod123

ohgod123 OT Supporter

right now i'm looking at the 2007 lexus IS and the 2007 g35 sedan. any other suggestions or input?

2. ices

ices New Member

C5 Z06

3. lathrash

lathrash New Member

e39 M5

4. ohgod123

ohgod123 OT Supporter

what years for these cars?

5. Jumpy

Jumpy New Member

One thing I should know,
    To answer a broad question
    are your auto needs

6. mkashew

mkashew New Member

07 Ford F-250 FX4

7. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

ap2 s2000

8. source1tx

source1tx ..[DM/101]

good call on either one the inifiti is a better buy i believe.

9. Variant

Variant Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.

Can you get an Infiniti M45 in that price range? I'd prefer that over the G sedan.

10. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

yeah give us a few things your looking for in a car. My first opinion would be the Corvette Z06. A nice C5 would be a great car.

11. Beakmoney

Beakmoney OT Supporter

i was in basically the same position for about 6 or 8 months, except i had a tough time deciding what i really wanted. coming from a modded 2002 WRX, i knew i wanted something 'nicer'. heated leather, sunroof and automatic climate control were MUSTS. i work for lexus and was given the opportunity to take a few cars home overnight, GS350AWD, IS250AWD, ES350 in particular.
    ES350 - super boring but also VERY nice, even in base model form.
    GS350AWD - nice car, runflat tires suck but something about it didn't sit well with me, and i'm not really sure what. can't say anything bad about it, just didn't really care for it.
    IS250AWD - love almost everything about this car. i would own one if it weren't for one MAJOR issue....power. this car is so painfully slow it made me wonder why i took it home a second night. heated and cooled seats, good climate control, good visibility, comfortable seats (5'11", 170), good enough audio system. comfort access kicks ass (if you dont know, look it up), AFS is neat but may have just been novalty. smooth ride, good handling, fantastic brakes at least the few times i stabbed them from higher speeds. just too slow, way too slow..my 2009 kawasaki ninja 250 with 32hp/16lb-ft is TONS faster and it gets out-paced by older minivans.
    *i decided if i were buying an automatic, it would have to be awd/fwd, which is why the IS350 was not a consideration*

i drove probably 25 different cars. infiniti G35S (07-08 sedan for those of you who aren't as much of a car nerd as i am) 6mt, loved everything about it, except the one i drove had ivory interior and there was not another 6mt within 250 miles.
    08 audi A4 2.0T..what can i say, its an audi. very nice but not sure for how long.
    acura 05/06 RL (would have bought one if i could've found one without parchment interior or beige exterior). love everything about it, still do, handles way better than a sedan that size ever should.
    BMW 335i M-sport 6mt, nav, premium, cold weather, NO i-drive, etc....this is the car i still want except i'd consider it in 'xi' form, too much money CPO and too many problems to buy non-CPO.....one day i'll have a new one but 51k MSRP built the way i want is a bit hard to swallow at this point...could buy an E39 M5 and supercharge it for that money....or an E60 M5...hell an E60 550i would be cheaper.

to make a very long story a bit shorter, i used to work for acura and had the opportunity to drive the 07/08 TL type S in 5at form on many occasions, decided i'd take a zip in a 6mt that was for sale in the area (1 of 2 6mt TL-S within 100 miles). loved it and bought it. 23,7xx miles, got it for $26,800. bought it from a VW dealer who literally did nothing but slap a state inspection sticker on it while it was in their inventory. clean carfax, serviced with a different local acura dealer, no dents/dings/scratches/chips, perfect, even the tires and brakes are basically new..still under factory basic warranty (will be purchasing 84k/60mo acuracare contract within a month or so, i'm sure that nav unit is not cheap to replace)

whats wrong with the TL-S? way too much power for FWD (at least in first gear, 2nd gear in the rain or while cornering at lower speeds), no AFS but thats probably novalty again. pulls forever on the highway (i commute 60 miles each way, 5 days a week) and still gets 29mpg! i'm spending less on gas now than i was with my WRX and driving MUCH faster in a heavier, bigger engined car.

if i could do it all over again, i'd consider holding out for a G35S but being a victim of circumstance, my WRX started making bad knocking noises from the block and decided to start burning a lot of oil, so its days were numbered (worth a lot more running than not). no regrets on the TL what-so-ever.

my advice: drive everything you see and like, if you decide on something, sleep on it and drive a different one and see how you feel. who cares if you can't afford it, walk in to a showroom and ask a salesman to take 'that' car for a ride, even if you look like a hobo, they'll probably toss you the keys, at least that will help to weed out some things you do and don't like about different cars (or even the difference between german and japanese cars).

happy hunting, and good luck!

12. Singh888

Singh888 OT Supporter

:bowdown: