A&P Best Use of $1000 bucks for a newbie photographer

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by r3j3ct, Dec 27, 2008.

1. r3j3ct

r3j3ct New Member

Okay, So I recently managed to get an XTi with basic kit lens for dirt cheap (paid $200 for a refurb by using MS cashback and buying and reselling a few cameras) and I'm quickly falling in love with this hobby. I'm already amassing a huge list of wants, and well, I know right now that I'm gonna need to set myself a budget so I don't put myself in debt with this hobby over the next year. So I've decided I'm going to spend no more then $1000 over the next year. (not including the camera I've already bought)

So here's where you guys come in, I've made up my list of what I'm planning on buying, you guys tell me how you think I should change this list up and still keep it in my budget. I want a versitle setup that I can do a wide range of shots with... I will not go over this spending limit this year (except for maybe little $30 purchases here and there that I don't count)

(The links I've given below are just examples, I'll shop around and find better prices on all this stuff before I actually buy)

Things I'm fairly certain I'll want unless you convince me into something cheaper or convince me that something in here is total crap and a waste of money...
    1) Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Telephoto Lens - $300
    2) Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens - $125
    3) Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash - $200
    4) Cullmann 2650 Universal Grounder Tripod with 3-Way Panhead - $100

Other things I'm debating on...
    1) Softbox / umbrella?
    2) Wide angle conversion lens?
    3) must have filters ?
    4) should I get a set of cybersyncs for off camera flash?
    5) anything else I'm not thinking of?

2. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

the 75-300 isnt worth shit

3. r3j3ct

r3j3ct New Member

Thanks for the "constructive" reply... :p

I know that starting out I will want some kind of telephoto lens, but do you have an idea of how I can change my want list to include a better lens that will be worth having? I know I could delay getting the 85mm lens in exchange for a higher quality telephoto, but I have a feeling that the majority of the photographs I will want to take will be in that range and I love that lens so I really want to keep that one in there.

4. r3j3ct

r3j3ct New Member

so I've been informed on another forum that the 55-200 is a much better lens and can be copped for not much more... I don't need the reach of the 75-300, so that'd be simple enough replacement

5. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Used 30D + Grip, Tamron 17-50, Spare Batteries, Few CF Cards, Card reader and a small bag. Save up a little more and get the 70-200 f4 L (~400 used) and then an ultra wide such as the Tokina 11-16, 12-24 or the Sigma 10-20.

6. Spurious

Spurious New Member

The 85mm is a quality portrait lens if you have enough room, especially when on a crop body, but I like it a lot more than the 50mm 1.4. Unfortunately you're going to be extremely limited in the quality pictures you can take. I'd rather you get the Tamron 17-50mm for now.

A good telephoto is something you have to pay for, the 70-200mm f4L is where I would start. Anything below that is either kit-lens quality or lower, get the 75-300 if you really feel like you need something for the focal length and don't want to spend the money, but realize you're strapping a piece of dogshit to the end of your camera.

The 430EX II is fine.

Get a cheap tripod for now if you're not willing to spend more than that on it. Or just don't use one, I don't.

For offcamera flash go to strobist.com and look up the recommended basic strobist package, it'll cost $60-$100 for a stand, bracket and umbrella, then get a pair of cybersyncs.

For your own sake, buy a battery grip for your XTi.

7. 1.8

1.8 Guest

70-200 f4L
    430ex
    18-55mm IS
    Tripod
    Extra batteries and CF cards

That's all you will need for a long time.

8. r3j3ct

r3j3ct New Member

Hmm, thought hadn't really crossed my mind to just ditch my kit lens and go with a higher quality in the same range instead of getting the 85mm... but I was really looking for something that could give me a smaller depth of field then my kit lens for portraits... I'll keep it in mind

yeah, and that just comes into where my budget limitations are... While I would love to drop $750 on a decent zoom lens, I really don't have the cash to throw into this hobby at that rate. I don't really need the range of the 75-300 but I feel I do need something over 100mm... so I'll probably drop the cash on the 55-200... I know I'll be limited, but it'll give me the opportunities to shoot with it until a year or two down the line when I have the cash to drop on something higher quality.

Yeah, that was going to be one of my later purchases if it happened this year... unless I found I was too shaky to live without it...[/quote]

not really finding any kind of recommended gear lists on their page anywhere, I'll keep looking though

Curious... why? I've never even held one of these cameras with a battery grip... so I don't really know the benifit

9. r3j3ct

r3j3ct New Member

already got an extra battery and 2 4gb CF cards... I'll upgrade those as need be...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  10. 1.8

1.8 Guest

Wow, you sure have a lot of opinions for a noob.

11. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

im glad he went with canon :rofl:

12. cftofu2k

cftofu2k OT Supporter

tamron 17-50 + canon 70-200 f/4 + 430ex

13. DagoRcR

DagoRcR OT Supporter

this would be good.

14. Spurious

Spurious New Member

The Tamron will give you plenty of DOF and a creamy background if you know what you're doing. 50mm at 2.8 4 feet away would give you a total focus depth of only 2 inches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They're $450-$500 used.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Light Stands
    Super Clamps
    Ball Bungees
    Umbrella Stand Adapters
    Soft Light: Umbrellas

Budget:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/335283-REG/Impact_2212ABH_Air_Cushioned_Black_Stand.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298709-REG/Impact_3117_Umbrella_Bracket.html

Baller:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/512196-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_001B_001B_3353_3373_Nano.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...anfrotto_026_026_Swivel_Umbrella_Adapter.html

Baller or Budget:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/501164-REG/Westcott_2011_43_White_Umbrella_Collapsible.html

First it makes the camera bigger than a large P&S. Without the grip I can't fit my pinky on a ***D camera. It adds weight to the backend so when you have a telezoom attached, it doesn't feel like your cameras constantly being pulled forward. It doubles your battery life (and allows for emergency use of AAs) and adds a vertical shutter release/controls.

15. r3j3ct

r3j3ct New Member

Ooh, thanks for the input... I think I may have found a place that I can get a used... that Tamron does give a nice DOF...

I have found a craiglister getting rid of an old Rebel X with a nice long cheap lens... so I might pick that up for the $50 they want to satisfy my needs for a telephoto till I can justify the 70-200mm

Thanks for the links on the lighting stuffs

16. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I have the 75-300 and I wouldn't call it dogshit, but it is a very difficult lens to use and I only use it when I'm shooting pics of wildlife out in my backyard (5 acres) or in very specific uses. It doesn't have IS and really needs it if your gonna hand hold it in less then very bright light and thats really the main reason I don't use it a lot.

17. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

18. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

:werd:

tamron 17-50 should be just next buy, with the flash or 70-200 your second, depending of course on what you want to shoot.

19. robbo185

robbo185 New Member

i just got the tamron 17-50....makes the kit lens look like a childs toy.

20. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

where the FFFFUUUU can i get a 70-200 f4L for ~400?

21. Striff

Striff Gimme the chocolate OT Supporter

When ebay/paypal was doing the 40% cashback....

22. aCab

aCab New Member

I see them regularly on POTN used for $425-450ish.

23. aCab

aCab New Member

For $1000, you're going to be hard pressed to put together a kit that will let you shoot everything.

24. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

POTN?

25. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter