WEB Best use for unused domains?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Insert Tokens, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Should I just park them to one of those services, like the Google ads for domains, or Sedo, or whatever?

Or should I park them to my own server, put something on it, and throw adsense in it?

I don't want to "manage" them as sites, I don't have time.. but I feel like these unused domains could be doing something better than diverting to my main website. :dunno:

2. Browning

Browning Active Member

turn them each into two or three page static sites with minimal content and a couple ad units, leave them like that until you get time. I hate parked pages

3. Insert Tokens

Yeah parked domains are annoying as fuck, I agree. Just dunno what to do with these.

Wish I had more time spare! So many ideas..

4. Browning

Browning Active Member

doesn't take much time to do what I mentioned

grab a free theme
    http://www.styleshout.com/

write a few pages, each with 2 or 3 short paragraphs. Write them yourself, rewrite articles found on the internet or hire some Indians on DP. If you hire Indians, don't forget to spell check.

3 content pages and a privacy page that complies with adsense TOS. Can be generated from here
    http://www.serprank.com/privacy-policy-generator/

toss up some adsense units, submit to a couple places like only wire, stumbleupon, etc and forget about them. Could be done in little time.

5. Insert Tokens

You speak truth.

I'll try find some time to whip a few pages up over the next few weeks.. see how it goes.

6. Browning

Browning Active Member

remember parked domains won't earn shit unless they're generating good traffic. One boring Sunday and you could whip them unused domains into simple sites

7. Insert Tokens

Yeah.. true.

Does it make a difference to Google etc if they all point to the same site? (using .htaccess rewrites so if you come to xxxx.com subpages are still on xxxx.com, but if you come to yyyy.com subpages are on yyyy.com, if that makes sense)?

That way I could do 4-5 domains to each "site" if they have the same sort've topic.. :dunno:

8. Browning

Browning Active Member

just add a 301 or 302. If they're all the same topic. Make one site and then toss it up on all domains with the same content just reworded or spun.

9. Browning

Browning Active Member

stop being lazy bro:mamoru2:

10. Insert Tokens

:rofl:

I work a full-time career job + run a side business full-time + do webdev hobby projects.. I wish it was laziness. :hs:

11. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

dot to all this.

Even just do a simple one page "site". You could hire a copywriter and get good content for $5-10 per site. Then pay someone else to do some linkbuilding for you.

Here is a VERY basic example: http://touchscreenguards.com/ ....no link building done on it at all but it still gets some random traffic/clicks.

Getting even the most basic site with unique content up can be many times more useful than just parking...

- You can earn more as you don't have to share the clicks with the parking company. You can also easily find very targeted affiliate offers to work in and make even more that way.

- Better chance to build up search traffic if you have unique content...parked pages are usually ignored by the engines but even very basic one page sites with unique content can rank with a little effort.

- You can actually build up the domains history, pagerank and actually increase the value of the domain rather than have it ignored by search engines if just parking.

- If it gets decent traffic and shows promise then it's easy to justify spending more time/money and building out a "real" site on the domain.

- It's easier to sell a domain with an established site, especially if that site helps bring even more traffic to the domain.

...though finding the time/energy to build out even super easy one page sites, even if you already have the content from someone else, can be a pain lol.

12. Browning

Browning Active Member

mentioned 3 pages since I believe that's the minimum amount you need to run adsense without breaking TOS. I could be wrong though

13. XO

XO bee a honey

Don't use a generic parking page if you're worried about any type of domain disputes

Some of the seo/domain forum members have free templated parking services that allow you to add in your own text