Best type of free anti virus?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cs0kalom, Oct 22, 2008.

1. cs0kalom

cs0kalom New Member

I got a new computer, and I want to put some anti-virus protection on it. It initially came with McAfee, but the trial period is over.

I been doing some research, and there's a few 'free' versions of anti-virus programs like AVG, PC Tools and Cyberdefender as well as many others. It seems that these 'FREE' anti-virus programs all have limits, or pop-ups or other annoying things that try to get you to 'buy' the paid version.

OK, I might consider paying for it, but if the 'free' version will take care of my anti-virus, malware and trojan protection, then, hey, I could deal with the nuisance of pop-ups. I've read on some forums, that there are some viruses or trojans that promote certain bogus anti-virus software, so I think I would be best off using something from a company that is a public company if possible since a public company would probably have a more legitimate product and they would some accountability.

As far as I can tell Cyberdefener is the only public one of the 'FREE' anti-virus programs, and I think has more features then some of the others i've seen.

Can anyone give me feedback on Cyberdefender? Am I wrong to only want to go with a public company? Can anyone recommend some other anti-virus softwares that are as good as Cyberdefender (and free) that I should look into?

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it!

2. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

We use Avira Antivirus. The only downside is the ad that pops up everytime you update.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i've been using avast and before that avg. i've never gotten a virus in my 10+ years of Windows computing, so i can't really tell if they're actually doing anything. but, neither is all that intrusive with ads and shit.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've been using avg at home for a bunch of years, been great for me.

5. jeyur

jeyur cum fairy OT Supporter

AVG works great for me. updates everyday and after it updates, it scans your comp

6. cs0kalom

cs0kalom New Member

Thank you for your input. So AVG and Avast are free - that's wicked cool. Do you know if they are a public company?

7. twinkycowboy

twinkycowboy New Member

Not sure if they're public companies or not, but I've used Cyberdefender before and it works really well. They have an option to upgrade for tech support too, which is good if you run into a lot of computer problems - definitely cheaper than a lot of other tech support type places.

8. twinkycowboy

twinkycowboy New Member

Hey I did a quick google search and you're right - Cyberdefender is traded publicly. Haven't found any info on the others yet though - I'll keep you posted.

9. Felixx219

Felixx219 New Member

I have used AVG for a couple of years now and never had an issue.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I use Avast. It's a good product.

For machines already infected, I download the latest version of McAfee Stinger onto a floppy disk and then run it on the infected machine in Safe Mode. Cleans it right up every time.

11. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I prefer Avast over AVG due to the excess bloating of AVG now. The only downside I have noticed after switching from AVG to Avast is the scan speed. It takes me about 2 days to complete a thorough scan with Avast where AVG took much less time. Part of this is because Avast seems to give up CPU priority better than AVG when the computer is in use, obviously making it then take longer. Also, I'm not positive but I believe Avast pauses when it finds something and waits for a command.

(This is complete deep archive scanning of ~2TB and I think it was 1.7 million files... I just completed a full scan yesterday)

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

2 days? Jesus. Just turn on scan-on-write, then nothing can get in to infect your machine to begin with.

You can adjust the priority of the Avast scanner, you know. You can also tell it to assume answers to its questions.

13. scissorhands7

scissorhands7 New Member

I agree AVG 7.0 was worthwhile, after AVG 8.0 came out it became a massive bloatfest.

Similar to how Vista became bloated compared to XP?

Go Avast.