Best type of enclosure for me and my car?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IspitHotFire, Oct 31, 2002.

1. IspitHotFire

IspitHotFire 3 Greatest rappers of all time ? Dylan, Dylan, and

2 12' Shiva's with 1200 watts going to them.

I've got the trunk of 2002 Maxima to work with, it's not terribly big but not super cramped. I listen to mostly rap and like my bass loud, the type that makes your insides rattle

What would you recommend;

Sealed/Vented
    Ported
    Bandpass

The rest of my system is coming in tommorow, and I want to get it put in ASAP. Thanks

2. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you have a jbl1200.1. If you wanna be loud sealed and bandpass are not an option, ported is the way to go. With Adire's recommendations for a standard inclosure it should get pretty loud.

3. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Depending on the type of ported enclosure you build and tunning you can make it sound as good a sealed enclosure. Looking at his response doesn't like Sq is much of a concern that's why i recommend ported.

4. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

True it's not an easy task perfecting a ported enclosure. I have seen some of the worst ported enclosures imaginable made by complete idiots who think its just a box with a hole or slot in it.

Even some of the prefab ported boxes I have heard sound like complete ass. My example Virtual Technologies they tune all their enclosures to one note 36-38hz depending on woofer size. Say for example you have a JL WO 10" with an fs of 22hz all the vtech enclosures for the 10" are tuned to 38hz the result no sq tons of useless bass.

My friend and I have went through 6 ported enclosures and have not found one that suites a good mix of sq/spl. You really can't go wrong with sealed.

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

[​IMG]

bigger ports are better :p

of course it only played 47 hrz raly loud after that it was done lots of port nosie as well

6. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Nice box, what's it tuned 2. Are the subs on the front plate.

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

tuned to 47 hrz another mistake yes the subs on are teh oposite plane as teh ports but live and learn now in the area where the flat spot is it now plexi but teh box hoas been retired if an one wants it pay shippng and its yours also i have the drivers for it if any one wants them

8. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

I haven't tunned anything that high yet. Since I'll be helping my buddy with comp's were definetly going to be tuning from 50hz and up. What's the dimensions on those ports? They don't look like their very long at all.

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i dotn rember teh exact demnsions its just a spec build box for an atomic thunder shocker if i rember right its around ten cubes the ports are 18 inches long i think but i built tha box oer 3 years ago so i realy cant tell ya